About Research Activities
The Associate Dean for Research, Director of Research Operations, and the Academic Research Council serve as the Dean’s source of research information, outreach and oversight. They develop and implement the processes and programs to facilitate research by the cadets and faculty.
Associate Dean for Research (Acting)
The Associate Dean for Research heads the Institute for Innovation and Development, and serves as the focal point for research and liaison to external research agencies. Advises the Dean on matters pertaining to academic research and leveraging faculty expertise to the Army and our nation. Provides the institutional oversight on all research activities and research resourcing at West Point.
COL Michael Phillips, PhD, is West Point’s Acting Associate Dean for Research. COL Phillips received a Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering from Clemson University, a M.S. in Applied Mathematics from The Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey California, and a B.A. in Mathematics from Cameron University. At the Academy, COL Phillips’ assignments include Department Head for the Department of Mathematical Sciences. He currently teaches MA371 (Linear Algebra).
Assistant Dean and Director of Research Operations
The Assistant Dean/Director of Research Operations supports the Associate Dean for Research and the Institute for Innovation and Development, by providing project management; strategic communications and outreach; departmental and research center collaboration; funds processing guidance and budgeting; and program assessment.
Dr. Elizabeth V. Velilla received her B.A. in Psychology from Columbia University and her Ph.D. in Social Personality Psychology, from The Graduate Center of the City University of New York (CUNY). Her general research area is learning and motivation, with a special interest in engagement and persistence in higher education. Dr. Velilla has served as the Human Protections Administrator (HPA) and subject matter expert on human research compliance for USA MEDDAC West Point-Keller Army Community Hospital and the United States Military Academy. In addition to her appointment as the Assistant Dean for the Institute for Innovation and Development, and Director of Research Operations, Dr Velilla teaches PL100, General Psychology for Leaders, and is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership.
Academic Research Council
Fosters cooperation among West Point departments and research organizations to promote research activities at the Academy. Serves as an advisory and recommending body to the Dean on matters relating to academic research at West Point.
- ARC Chair:
COL Daniel McCarthy, PhD - ORCEN Director - Systems Engineering
- ARC Deputy Chair:
Dr Jon Steigman - Department of Foriegn Languages
Academic Research Council Members
- LTC David Borowicz - Civil & Mechanical Engineering
- Dr Bill Brechue - Department of Physical Education
- Dr Kathleen Campbell - Department of Behavioral Sciences & Leadership
- LTC Liam Collins - Department of Social Sciences
- LTC Bill Czajkowski, PhD - Nuclear Science Engineering & Research Center
- Dr John Farr - Center for Nation Reconstruction and Capacity Development
- LTC Bruce Floersheim - Center for Innovation and Engineering
- COL Andy Glen, PhD - Department of Mathematics
- MAJ Rob Grimming - Department of Physics and Nuclear Engineering
- Dr Jonathan Gumz - Department of History
- LTC Paul Kucik, PhD - Department of Systems Engineering
- LTC Steve Lasse, PhD - Department of English & Philosophy
- Mr Rick Metro - Department of Military Instruction
- LTC Bill Pearman - Department of Chemistry and Life Sciences
- COL Jim Raftery, PhD - Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Dr Jon Steigman - Foreign Languages
- Dr Gunnar Tamm - Civil & Mechanical Engineering
- COL David Wallace, JD - Department of Law