|This club desires to spread and expand cultural open-mindedness throughout the Corps by exposing cadets to the aesthetic world of jazz; a world that has profoundly affected and influenced America, both socially and culturally since the beginning of the 20th Century. Through this first- hand exposure--by visiting legendary jazz clubs in New York City such as Jazz at Lincoln Center and the Village Vanguard--cadets will gain a new appreciation for the arts while developing and shaping new facets of their identities. Finally, this club has developed an important partnership with the Jazz Knights of the West Point Band, which is comprised of exceptionally talented leaders and musicians holding advanced degrees from the finest music schools in the world. Through this partnership, cadets regularly listen to performances by (and if inclined, play alongside) the Jazz Knights. |
- On Friday, 22 March 2013, The Cadet Jazz Forum enjoyed a visit to the legendary Village Vanguard Jazz Club in New York City. There, cadets were treated to a mesmerizing performance from iconic jazz guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkel and his jazz quartet. After the show, Mr. Rosenwinkel and the band took time to chat with the forum’s jazz enthusiasts, graciously answering their questions.
- On Wednesday, 27 March 2013 from 1130-1400, Saturday Night Live Musical Director and NYU Tenor Saxophone Professor Lenny Pickett collaborated with the Jazz Knights of the West Point Band in reading and performing some of Mr. Pickett’s original music. The Jazz Forum was fortunate to attend this amazing event. Please enjoy the following clips from the performance:
- On Monday, 6 May 2013 from 1930-2030, the Jazz Knights will host its second “Jam Session” of the semester for the Cadet Jazz Forum at the Egner Hall Band Building. During the “Jam Session,” cadets may listen and play alongside the world-class musicians that comprise the Jazz Knights.
- Sat, 26 Sept, 8:00pm; Westchester Jazz Orchestra plays Stevie, Joni, and The
Beatles (Vassar College)
- Sun, 13 Oct, 7:00pm: Diana Krall's Glad Rag Doll World Tour 2013 (Ulster
Performing Arts Center; Kingston, NY)
- Fri, 6 Dec, 8:00pm; Jazz Ensemble concert (Vassar College)
Jazz Knights Information