Chemistry is the branch of sciences that studies the composition, structure, properties, changes and interactions of matter. Therefore, it is truly the central science and underpins much of the efforts of scientists and engineers to improve life for humankind.
Chemistry Program Goals
- Use information resources to gather, organize, and understand scientific material.
- Design and execute experiments to address a problem or question using methods from classical chemistry to state-of-art instrument techniques.
- Analyze and assess scientific data gathered in the laboratory.
- Effectively and clearly communicate scientific information in written and oral form to a variety of audiences.
- Understand the applications of chemistry in the Army and society.
- Recognize the relationship between the properties of a substance, its molecular structure, and its reactivity.
- Understand and apply the physical concepts of chemistry.
ACS Certified Degree Program
The Chemistry Major offers an American Chemical Society Certified Degree Program in addition to the baseline major. In order to receive an ACS Certified Degree a cadet must:
The Chemistry Major offers an honors program in addition to the baseline major. In order to receive a Chemistry Major with Honors a cadet must:
- Complete the following two courses: CH489 Individual Research I and CH490 Individual Research II
- Graduate with a QPA ≥ 3.0 in the 30 core academic program courses
- Graduate with a QPA ≥ 3.5 in the 11 chemistry program courses