15 JUL: Teaching Speaking
1. Read Horwitz 109-130
2. Define the concept of “spontaneous speaking” using your own words.
3. Prepare to discuss “Guidelines” (Horwitz, pp. 120-123) in more detail.
16 JUL: Listening Comprehension
Read Horwitz, Chapter 4
Prepare one five-minute speaking activity based on an element from the first chapter of your textbook. This can be based on existing book activities, one from pp. 123-126 (Horwitz), or one that you make up yourself. Be sure to bring all needed materials (photocopies, etc.) to class.
17 JUL: Teaching Reading
1. Before reading the chapter, identify the reason why reading is important to you as a language-learning tool.
2. Read pp. 134-151 in textbook. Note any changes to your perception of reading as an important tool for language-learners.
18 JUL: Reading Practice
Prepare one five-minute reading activity based on an element from the first chapter in your textbook. This can be based on existing book activities/reading, one from pp. 144-149 (Horwitz), or one that you make up yourself. Be sure to bring all needed materials (photocopies, etc.) to class.
23 JUL: Intro to USMA IT and Using Sharepoint (Mr. Helsel and Mr. Piscitelli)
1. Review DFL Technology Quick Reference Sheet
2. Consider the following questions:
· What does the acronym CAC stand for? How does it strengthen network security?
· How do you create a mapped drive? What is its benefit to computer users?
· When your computer completely freezes where nothing responds, what action should you take to restart it?
· What does the acronym VPN stand for? What are its benefits for a company or the government?
ILR and ACTFL Guidelines
· ILR and ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines
· Comparison of ILR and ACTFL Scales
· Standards for Foreign Language Learning in the 21st Century
Read Horwitz, Chapter 7
Read Horwitz, Chapter 9
24 JUL: Culture
Sequencing Two Activities
Read Horwitz, Chapter 10