Military Officer Application Process
Each January, we conduct a selection board that chooses officers to join the DPE-USMA faculty. Now is the time to begin compiling and submitting your packet for the January 2015 Selection Board. Your packet is due 01 Dec 2014. You may begin your file online utilizing the W.E.S.T system. To determine if this board meets your career timeline, take a look at where you are now and how you fit in DPE's timeline:
|Begin Grad School
|Report to USMA
Thus, the primary year groups of interest for the Jan 2015 Board are YG 08 through YG 10. Some officers from YG 11 may also fit into the timeline for this board. Applicants must be branch qualified prior to beginning grad school. To complete your application, you must upload the following information into your W.E.S.T. account:
1. Officer Record Brief
2. All Officer Evaluation Reports (to include AERs)
3. Official DA Photograph (add photo to W.E.S.T. home page)
4. Letters of Recommendation: at least 3 (address to COL Gregory L. Daniels, Director, Department of Physical Education, USMA, West Point, NY 10996)
5. University Transcripts
6. GRE Scores (must be within 5 years of the start of graduate school according to the DPE timeline above. Also, if you have completed a graduate degree on your own from May 2011 forward, you do not need GRE scores for your packet. Just submit all transcripts.)
7. Copy of APFT Scores (as many as possible)
8. Resume: focus on background in physical education and athletics/fitness (bullet format)
9. Short Essay: at a minimum answering the following questions:
a. Why do you want to be a DPE instructor at USMA?
b. What unique strengths would you contribute to enhance the Department, specifically what committees do you think you are best suited to enhance and why (military movement (gymnastics), boxing, aquatics, and/or combatives)?
c. As a DPE Sport Educator, for which types of intramural programs do you think you are best suited to enhance our competitive sports program?
d. What are your long-term goals, and how does a teaching assignment in DPE contribute to those goals?
You may start a file online by clicking here and submitting a USMA interest form. You will be provided a user ID and password within 10 business days to begin your online file. You may continually update online or forward additional information that attests to your military, academic and athletic accomplishments. You may submit information electronically, via fax, or by mail to:
Department of Physical Education
United States Military Academy
735 Brewerton Road
ATTN: Recruiting Officer
West Point, NY 10996
FAX: (845) 938-0708
Final selection is competitive based on academic and military qualifications. Once selected, officers apply to graduate school (Texas A&M, University of Indiana, University of Virginia) where they earn a Masters degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology, or Exercise Physiology. The degree programs are all one year in length and immediately proceed your 3-year utilization tour here at USMA. The degree programs are set up to prepare the officer for their duties at USMA. Generally, the program of study includes pedagogy, curriculum development, motor learning/control, and exercise physiology courses while also allowing you the opportunity to assist in teaching some basic physical education activity classes.
Thank you for your time and thank you for your service! Click here to Apply
Top of Form