Military Officer Application Process
Each January, we conduct a selection board that chooses officers to join the DPE-USMA faculty. Now is the time to begin compiling and submitting your packet for the January 2013 Selection Board. Your packet is due 1 Dec 2012. You may begin your file online utilizing the W.E.S.T system. To determine if this board meets your career timeline, take a look at where you are now and how you fit in DPE's timeline:
Thus, the primary year groups of interest for the Jan 2014 Board are YG 08 and YG 09. Some officers from YG 07 and YG 10 may also fit into the timeline for this board. Applicants must be branch qualified prior to beginning graduate school. To complete your application, you must send the following information:
|Begin Grad School
|Report to USMA
You may start a file online by clicking here and submitting a USMA interest form. You will be provided a user ID and password within 10 days to begin your online file. You may continually update online or forward additional information that attests to your military, academic and athletic accomplishments. You may submit information electronically, via fax, or by mail to:Department of Physical Education
- Officer Record Brief
- All Officer Evaluation Reports
- Official DA Photograph (add photo to main W.E.S.T. page)
- Letters of Recommendation (3) (address to COL Gregory L. Daniels, Director, Department of Physical Education, USMA, West Point, NY 10996)
- University Transcripts
- GRE Scores (Must be within 5 years of the start of graduate school. Also, if you have completed a graduate degree on your own from May 2009 forward, you do not need GRE scores for your packet. Just send all transcripts.)
- Copy of APFT Scores (as many as possible)
- Resume of background in physical education/sports (bullet format)
- Short Essay - at a minimum answering the following questions:
- In order to commit to a full 3-year utilization tour to DPE after graduate school, what is your plan for ILE?
- Why do you want to be a DPE instructor at USMA?
- What unique strengths would you contribute to enhance the Department, specifically what committees do you think you are best suited to enhance and why (military movement (gymnastics), boxing, aquatics, and/or combatives)?
- As a DPE Sport Educator, for which types of intramural programs do you think you are best suited to enhance our competitive sports program?
- What are your long-term goals, and how does a teaching assignment in DPE contribute to those goals?
United States Military Academy
ATTN: Recruiting Officer
West Point, NY 10996
FAX: (845) 938-3248
E-MAIL: email@example.comFinal selection is competitive based on academic and military qualifications. Once selected, officers apply to graduate schools (Texas A&M, University of Indiana, University of Virginia) where they earn a Masters degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology, or Exercise Physiology. The degree programs are all one year in length and immediately proceed your 3-year utilization tour here at USMA. The degree programs are set up to prepare the officer for their duties at USMA. Generally, the program of study includes pedagogy, curriculum development, motor learning/control, and exercise physiology courses while also allowing you the opportunity to assist in teaching some basic physical education activity classes.Thank you for your time and thank you for your service! Click here to Apply