Dr. Bill Brechue
Professor/Director Center for Physical Development ExcellenceContact:Phone:
William F. Brechue, Ph.D has been a faculty member in the Department of Kinesiology and Health Studies at the University of Central Oklahoma (2006), the Department of Kinesiology at Indiana University (1995-2002) and at the University of Florida College of Medicine in the Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics (1987-1993) and Department of Medicine (1993-1995). Additionally he has taught grade school/high school mathematics and physical education. Dr. Brechue has also served as an athletics coach at the high school and university level, most recently at Central Missouri State University where he was a defensive line coach and the strength and conditioning coordinator for the football team (2002-2006) and is a regional coach with USA Weightlifting (1997-present).
- Ph.D. Human Performance, Indiana University, 1987
- M.S. Physical Education, Pittsburg State University, 1984
- B.S. Physical Education and Mathematics, Pittsburg State University, 1982
- Electrical Technology, Erie County Community College, 1977
- Brechue, W.F. and J.L Mayhew. Lower-body work capacity and 1-RM squat prediction in college football players. J. Strength Cond. Res. 26: 364-372, 2012.
- Brechue, W.F. Structure-function relationships that determine sprint performance and running speed in Sport. International Journal of Applied Sport Science. 23(2): 313-350, 2011.
- Brechue, W.F. and H.T Hammel. Osmotic effects of ions diffusing in capillary plasma can explain Starling’s osmotic force in plasma-ISF exchange. Comparative Exercise Physiology, CJO 2011 doi:10.1017/S1755254011000092, 2011.
- Mayhew, J.L., W.F. Brechue, A.E Smith, W. Kemmler, D. Lauber, and A.J. Koch. Impact of testing strategy on expression of upper-body work capacity and 1-RM prediction in college men and women. J. Strength Cond. Res. 25: 2796-2807, 2011.
- Boehler, A.W, J.A. Ward, J.K. Hitt, W.F. Brechue, K.W. Hollander, M. Holgate, T.G. Sugar, D. Audet, and G. Kanagaki. Analysis, design, and testing of a Soldier power regeneration Kit (SPaRK). Int. J. of Biomaechtronics and Biomedical Robotics, 2011.
- Yasuda, T., T. Abe, W.F. Brechue, H. Iida, H. Takano, K. Meguro, M. Kurano, S. Fujita, and T. Nakajima. Venous blood gas and metabolite response to low-intensity muscle contractions with external limb compression. Metabolism 59:1510-1519, 2010.
- Ozaki,H., W.F. Brechue, M. Sakamaki, T. Yasuda, M. Nishikawa, N. Aoki, F. Ogita, and T. Abe. Metabolic and cardiovascular responses to upright cycle exercise with leg blood flow reduction. J. Sports Sci and Med. 9:224-230, 2010.
- Brechue, W.F., J.L. Mayhew, and P.C. Fontaine. Characteristics of sprint performance of college football players. J. Strength Cond. Res. 24:1169-1178, 2010.
- Mayhew, J.L., J.J. Houser, B. Briney, T. Williams, F.C. Piper, and W.F. Brechue. Comparison between hand- and electronic-timing of sprint performance in college football players. J. Strength Cond. Res. 24: 447-451, 2010.
Organ systems physiology, primarily neuromuscular and cardiovascular physiology and metabolic regulation. Present studies include Neuromuscular and cognitive aspects of traumatic brain injury and Foot-ankle mechanics and gait. Additional work includes physiological factors that dictate athletic performance and response to training and exercise prescription for health and rehabilitation.