Dr. Jeff Coelho
Professor/Director of Instruction/Military Movement Course DirectorContact:Phone:
Dr. Jeff Coelho earned a Bachelor of Science in Health-Fitness, and a Masters deree in Physical Education from Springfield College. During his undergraduate years, he enjoyed a successful competitive gymnastics career, earning honors as a 3-time NCAA Division II National Champion, and 2-time NCAA Division I All American. In 2001, he was inducted into the Springfield College Athletic Hall of Fame. Dr. Coelho arrived at West Point in 1989, after working as a Program Director and Head Gymnastics Coach at a private gymnastics school in Massachusetts. In 1997, Jeff earned a Master of Education and Doctor of Education from Teachers College, Columbia University. During the past 23 years at USMA, he has served in a variety of positions in the Department of Physical Education, to include Director of Aerobic Fitness, Director of SCUBA, Director of Cross-country Skiing, Director of Basic Instruction, Director of Advanced Instruction, and Associate Director of Instruction. He presently serves as Director of Instruction and Director of Military Movement - Gymnastics. Dr. Coelho also was the Assistant Men’s Gymnastics Coach for 5 years and currently serves as an Officer Representative for the Army Gymnastics Team.
- Ed.D - Teaching and Curriculum, Teachers College, Columbia University, 1997
- M.Ed. — Teaching and Curriculum, Teachers College, Columbia University, 1997
- M.P.E Athletic Administration, Springfield College, 1985
- B.S. Health and Fitness, Springfield College, 1984
- Coelho, J.D. (2010). Gymnastics and Movement Instruction: Fighting the decline of motor fitness. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 81(1), 14-18.
This faculty member is not currently engaged in any research at this time.