MAJ Paulo Shakarian
Assistant Professor Contact: Office: Phone:
MAJ Shakarian was comissioned as a U.S. Army officer upon graduation from West Point in 2002. His assignments include a variety of duty positions in the First Armored Division (Wiesbaden and Baumholder, Germany) - most recently as the Brigade S2 for Task Force Iron Sentinel. He has also served two tours in Operation Iraqi Freedom - including time as a Military Advisor working with the Iraqi National Police. His research interests include Network Science, Cyber Warfare, Geospatial Reasoning, and Artificial Intelligence.
- Ph.D., University of Maryland, College Park, 2011
- M.S., University of Maryland, College Park, 2009
- B.S., United States Military Academy, 2002
Articles in Academic Journals
- Using Generalized Annotated Programs to Solve Social Network Diffusion Optimization Problems.
Paulo Shakarian, Matthias Broecheler, V.S. Subrahmanian, Christian Molinaro, ACM Transactions on Computational Logic, accepted 2012.
- A Review of Evolutionary Graph Theory With Applications to Game Theory. (preprint)
Paulo Shakarian, Patrick Roos, Anthony Johnson, BioSystems, Elsevier, Vol. 107, No.2, Feb. 2012.
- Adversarial Geospatial Abduction Problems. (bibtex) (slides) (preprint)
Paulo Shakarian, John P. Dickerson, V.S. Subrahmanian, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 2, Feb. 2012.
- Annotated Probabilistic Temporal Logic: Approximate Fixpoint Implementation. (bibtex) (online appendix) (preprint)
Paulo Shakarian, Gerardo I. Simari, V.S. Subrahmanian, ACM Transactions on Computational Logic, Vol. 13, No. 2, Apr. 2012.
- GAPs: Geospatial Abduction Problems. (bibtex) (preprint)
Paulo Shakarian, V.S. Subrahmanian, Maria Luisa Sapino, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 1, Oct. 2011.
- Annotated Probabilistic Temporal Logic. (bibtex) (preprint)
Paulo Shakarian, Austin Parker, Gerardo I. Simari, V.S. Subrahmanian, ACM Transactions on Computational Logic, Vol.12, No. 2, Jan. 2011.
Conference Presentations (no proceedings)
Articles in Military Journals and Magazines
- A Probabilistic Framework for the Localization of Attackers in MANETs. Massimilano Albanese, Alessandra De Benedictis, Suchil Jajodia, Paulo Shakarian,European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS 2012), accepted, to be presented in Sep. 2012. 21% acceptance rate.
- Large Social Networks can be Targeted for Viral Marketing with Small Seed Sets. (preprint)
Paulo Shakarian, Damon Paulo, 2012 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM-2012), accepted, to be presented in Aug., 2012.
- Fast and Deterministic Computation of Fixation Probability in Evolutionary Graphs. (slides) (preprint)
Paulo Shakarian, Patrick Roos, 6th International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Bioinformatics (CIB-11); November 2011.
- Towards Shrink-Wrapped Security: Practically Incorporating Context Into Security Services. (preprint)
Gleneesha Johnson, Paulo Shakarian, Neha Gupta, Ashok Agrawala, Intl. Symposium on Frontiers in Ambient and Mobile Systems (FAMS-2011); September 2011.
- Abductive Inference for Combat: Using SCARE-S2 to Find High-Value Targets in Afghanistan. (bibtex) (preprint)
Paulo Shakarian, Margo K. Nagel, Brittany E. Schuetzle, V.S. Subrahmanian, 23rd Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence (IAAI-11); August 2011.
- A Scalable Framework for Modeling Competitive Diffusion in Social Networks. (bibtex) (preprint)
Matthias Broecheler, Paulo Shakarian, V.S. Subrahmanian, 2nd IEEE International Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom-10) (symposium section); August, 2010.
- Using Generalized Annotated Programs to Solve Social Network Optimization Problems. (bibtex) (postprint)
Paulo Shakarian, V.S. Subrahmanian, Maria Luisa Sapino, 26th Intl.Conference on Logic Programming (ICLP-10) (tech. communication); July, 2010
- SCARE: A Case Study with Baghdad. (bibtex) (slides) (preprint)
Paulo Shakarian, V.S. Subrahmanian, Maria Luisa Sapino, 3rd Intl. Conference on Computational Cultural Dynamics (ICCCD-09); December, 2009.
- The 2008 Russian Cyber-Campaign Against Georgia.
Paulo Shakarian, Military Review, Nov.-Dec., 2011.
- What is old is New: Counter-IED by Disrupting the Weapons Supply. (bibtex)
Paulo Shakarian, Charles Otstott, Military Review, July-August, 2011, pages 46-52.
- Stuxnet: Cyberwar Revolution in Military Affairs. (bibtex) (preprint)
Paulo Shakarian, Small Wars Journal, April 2011.
- The Future of Analytical Tools: Prediction in a Counterinsurgency Fight. (bibtex)
Paulo Shakarian, Military Intelligence Professional Bulletin, PB34-08-4, Oct.-Dec., 2008. pages 80-87.
- Stand and Fight: Lessons for the Transition Mission in Iraq. (bibtex)
Paulo Shakarian, Armor Magazine, Nov.-Dec., 2007, pages 10-14.
- Research interests include the study of complex networks, geospatial reasoning, and cyber warfare.