LTC Korpela is an Academy Professor serving as the Deputy Director of the Electrical Engineering Program. His previous military assignments include: Tank Platoon Leader, Scout Platoon Leader, Troop Executive Officer, Squadron Adjutant, and Squadron Assistant Operations Officer in 1st Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. During a brief break in service, he worked in the civilian sector as a hardware engineer for National Semiconductor Corporation. He deployed as the Headquarters Commander for the 439th Engineer Battalion (USAR) while attached to 2nd Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division in Baghdad, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. In 2010, he served as the 2nd Infantry Division Network Engineer at Camp Red Cloud, South Korea. During the Summer of 2015, he deployed with the 82nd Airborne Division in support of Operation Inherent Resolve. LTC Korpela is a graduate of the Armor Officer Basic Course, Engineer Captains Career Course, Combined Arms and Services Staff School, Command and General Staff College, Ranger School, Airborne School, and Air Assault School. His research interests include robotics, aerial manipulation, and embedded systems.
- 2016-2017: Student and Faculty Member, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks
- Summer 2015: Chief J6, CJFLCC-I, 82nd Airborne Division, Baghdad, Iraq
- 2014-2015: Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, USMA
- 2009-2010: Division Network Engineer, 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Red Cloud, Korea
- 2006-2009: Instructor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, USMA
- 2003-2004: Headquarters Commander, 439th Engineer Battalion, attached to 2/82nd Airborne Division, Baghdad, Iraq