COL Kevin L. Huggins
Associate Professor Contact: Office: Phone:
COL Huggins is an Academy Professor specializing in computer science. His previous military assignments include Platoon Leader, Battalion S-2, Assistant Brigade S-2, and Deputy J-2 in Panama; and Computer Scientist at Ft. Huachuca. COL Huggins is a graduate of the Intelligence Officer Basic and Advanced Courses, the Combined Arms Services Staff School, the Command and General Staff College, and Airborne and Jumpmaster Schools. His current research interests lie within the domain of complex, networked systems.
- Ph.D., Computer Science, École des Mines de Paris, 2005
- M.S., Computer Science, Naval Postgraduate School, 1994
- B.S., Computer Science, United States Military Academy, 1986
- Command and General Staff College
- Combined Arms and Service Staff School
- Post Graduate Intelligence Program
- Military Intelligence Officer's Advanced Course
- Jump Master School
- Military Intelligence Officer's Basic Course
- Airborne School
- Air Assault School
- A. Jousselme, K. Huggins, P. Maupin, N. Léchevin, D. Larkin, “Surveillance Coverage and Vulnerability Awareness Concepts for Tactical Swarms,” NATO Joint Symposium on Persistent Surveillance: Networks, Sensors & Architecture, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, 30 May – 1 April 2012.
- A. Jousselme, K. Huggins, P. Maupin, N. Léchevin, D. Larkin, “Vulnerability-aware architecture for a tactical, mobile cloud,” 3rd Workshop on Complex Networks (CompleNet 2012), Melbourne, FL, USA, 7-9 Mar 2012. [** 27% acceptance rate **]
- J. James, F. Mabry, K. Huggins, "Seeing the Real World: Sharing Protected Data In Real Time," Hawaii International Conference on System Science (HICCS - 45), Grand Wailea, Maui, HI, USA, 4-7 January 2012. (Accepted)
- K. Huggins, “Bringing the cloud to the soldier: challenges and opportunities,” Invited talk, Colloque International: Robotisation du champ de Bataille, Coëtquidan, France, November 9-10, 2011.
- K. Huggins, F. Mabry, J. James, "Flowing Valued Information Based on a Need to Share," 2011 IEEE 1st International Workshop on Network Science (NSW 2011), West Point, NY, USA, 22-24 June 2011.
- K. Huggins, “Current Research in Flowing Valued Information,” Invited talk, Workshop on The Future of Information Sharing with and Among Soldiers and First Responders: A Focus on Solutions, Indian Wells, CA, April 27-30, 2011.
- K. Huggins, F. Mabry, C. Miller, J. James, "Flowing Valued Information: A Complex Systems Approach to Information Sharing," 5th Annual US Military Academy Network Science Workshop, West Point, NY, USA, 26-28 Oct 2010.
- K. Huggins, “Policy and Technology Barriers to Collaboration and Information Sharing among Coalition Partners.” Panel Member at the Workshop on Information Sharing at the Front Line, Indian Wells, CA, April 6-9, 2010
- J. James, F. Mabry, K. Huggins, et. al, " Secure Computer Systems: Extensions to the Bell-La Padula Model," Network Science Center Technical Report 2009.12.1, West Point, NY USA, December 2009.
- I. Taj, K. Huggins, O. Hammami, "OSSIE Signals Processing Function Performance Enhancements Through Parallelization in an Embedded Multiprocessor Architecture," 2009 European Reconfigurable Radio Technologies Workshop, Madrid, Spain, April 22-24, 2009.
- I. Taj, O. Hammami, K. Huggins, "Performance Evaluation of a SDR on an Embedded Platform: The case of OSSIE," 2nd IEEE International Conference on Computer, Control & Communication (IEEE-IC4 2009) , Karachi, Pakistan, February 17-18, 2009 .
- O. Hammami, K. Huggins, “Embedded Multiprocessor Systems on a Chip: The March Towards Cognitive Radios and the Search for the Sweet Spot Between Hardware and Software, ” US Military Academy Network Science Workshop, 15-17 Oct 2008.
- L. Shay, K. Huggins, J. Blair, B. Shoop, “Approaches to Increasing the Efficiency of an Effective Outcome Assessment Process,” International Journal of Engineering Education . Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 884-892, 2008.
- R. Burk, K. Huggins, l. Knotts, “Rhetorical Analysis as a Means to Discover Networks of Influence.” 6th International Latin American and Caribbean Conference for Engineering and Technology, Tegucigalpa, Honduras, 4-6 June 2008.
- K. Huggins, S. Mujica, G. Garrido, M. Bouzidi, “Key Steps to Developing Successful Global Undergraduate IT Teams Through Exchanges.” 6th International Latin American and Caribbean Conference for Engineering and Technology, Tegucigalpa, Honduras, 4-6 June 2008.
- K. Huggins, “Assessment: Getting Your Organization into the ABET Accreditation Mood.” 6th International Latin American and Caribbean Conference for Engineering and Technology, Tegucigalpa, Honduras, 4-6 June 2008.
- K. Huggins, “Clarifying the Assessment Process with the Tri-Level Model.” Workshop at the 2008 Best Assessment Processes X Symposium, Atlanta, G, April 25-26, 2008.
- K. Huggins, E. Sobiesk, “Teaching a Core Engineering Course in a Foreign Language.” 10th Annual Colloquium on International Engineering Education, West Lafayette, IN, November 1-4, 2007.
- K. Huggins, S. Mujica, G. Garrido, “Integrating Global Undergraduate Computer Science Teams with a Capstone Project.” 10th Annual Colloquium on International Engineering Education, West Lafayette, IN, November 1-4, 2007.
- K. Huggins, R. DeCoste, “Reflections on Teaching Discrete Math.” ACM SIGCSE Bulletin. Vol. 39, Issue 2. ACM Press. New York, NY, USA. June 2007.
- K. Huggins, C. Chewar, “Enabling the Feedback Loop: Four Ways to Skin a Cat.” Workshop at the 2007 Best Assessment Processes IX Symposium, Terre Haute, IN, April 12-14, 2007.
- D. Fairfax, K. Huggins, B. Goda, "A Deliberate Integration of Information Technology into the Classroom," 2007 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Honolulu, HI, USA, June 24-27, 2007.
- C. Chewar, K. Huggins, J. Blair, "Avoiding the Pratfalls of Program Assessment." ACM SIGCSE Bulletin. Vol 38, Issue 4. ACM Press. New York, NY, USA. December 2006.
- R. DeCoste, K. Huggins, "Teaching Discrete Math for the First Time." ACM SIGCSE Bulletin. Vol 38, Issue 4. ACM Press. New York, NY, USA. December 2006.
- W. Suchan ,J. Blair, D. Fairfax, B. Goda, K. Huggins, M. Lemanski "Faculty Development in Information Technology Education," ACM Special Interest Group for Information Technology Education Conference 2006 (SIGITE 2006), Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 19-21, 2006.
- K. Huggins, "While We Are Different, We Are the Same: Using IT as a Tool for Strategic Change" Invited talk (in Spanish), Escuela de Ingenieria Vespertina, Universidad Diego Portales, Santiago, Chile, August 2, 2006.
- K.Huggins, "Agent LINEA : une méthode de calcul par graphes de la proximité des objets sur Internet," Ph.D. dissertation, École des Mines de Paris, France, April 29, 2005.
- K. Huggins and D. Carteret, " A Graph-Based, Metric Space Proximity Calculator for Internet Objects," Colloque International sur la Fouille de Texte 2004 (CIFT2004), La Rochelle, France, June 22-24, 2004.
- K. Huggins, L. Shay, J. M. D. Hill, E. Ressler and B. Goda, " Experiences in Multi-Program ABET-Accreditation Preparation," Frontiers In Education Conference 2002 (FIE 2002), Boston, Massachusetts, November 6-9, 2002.
- D. Gowel, J. White, R. Schneider, J. Kalaher, K. Huggins (Advisor) "Building a Wireless Inventory System," 16th National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR 2002), Whitewater, Wisconsin, April 25-27, 2002.
- K. Huggins, R. Flowers, J. M. D. Hill, and J. R. Surdu, " Concept-Level Anticipatory Planning," Symposium on Military, Government, and Aerospace Simulation 2002 (MGA 2002), part of the Advanced Simulation Technologies Conference 2002 (ASTC 2002), San Diego, California, April 14-18, 2002, pp. 87-92.
- Sharing information in complex, networked systems
- Network edge device applications
- Assessment processes
- International engineering education