The mission of the United States Military Academy Orienteering Club is to improve the navigation skills of the team so that cadets become nationally competitive orienteers, capable of winning the national intercollegiate championships, placing at national-level orienteering races, and earning US Team membership, as well as to host a high-quality orienteering event annually, and to serve as a navigation training resource for our civilian community and the Corps of Cadets.
Navigational Excellence, Mental Toughness, Decision-Making, Physical Fitness, and Professionalism.
2014 A Meet site: 12 -13 April 2014: West Point 35th Annual A Meet - Lake Frederick. Updated Maps!
Jan 2014: CDT Hans Sitarz (F3, '17) was named to the U.S. Junior National Orienteering Team. Jacob Grant (A3, '15), William Miller (B4, '15), Zachary Schroeder (A2, '14), and John Hensley Williams (E3, '15) were named to the Senior Developmental Team. Alumni 2Lt Hannah Culberg (2012) was also named to the Senior Elite Team. Congratulations to all.
Jan 2014: The Orienteering Team competed in the Georgia Navigator Cup, held this year at Sweetwater Creek State Park, West of Atlanta, 18-20 Jan 2014. Cadet had great performances from Zachary Schroeder (A2 '14) with 2nd place and Charles Whitaker (H3 '14) with 3rd place in the Men's Elite Category, raising their overall national rankings in preparation for the coming Intercollegiate Championships. The team competed on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, where every cadet orienteered at least 40 kilometers through the woods.
Summer 2013: Two members of the West Point Orienteering Team, CDT Jacob Grant (A3, 2015) and CDT William Miller (B4, 2015) represented the United States at the Junior World Orienteering Championships at Hradec Králové, Czech Rep. (60 miles E of Prague), 16 Jun - 7 Jul 2013. These two talented athletes trained and competed as part of the U.S. National Junior Development Team. Cadet Grant and Miller continued a long history of West Point Orienteering Team participation at this and other world class events, and return to the Academy with cultural and athletic experiences that are instrumental in providing profession navigation based training to the members of the Orienteering Team. The Orienteering Team’s expertise and professionalism, developed through experiences such as this, are leveraged throughout the year to improve summer land navigation training, intramural orienteering, and the Sandhurst competition.
08 May 2013: The Orienteering Team was recognized at the Department of Physicla Education Spring Workshop for achiving the highest Competitive Club team average for both Academic Performance (team average 3.55) and Military Performance (team average of 3.41).
09-10 Mar 2013: Intercollegiates, Shawnee Kansas: Select members of the West Point Orienteering Team began their spring break by traveling to Shawnee Kansas, near Kansas City, for the U.S. Intercollegiate Championships, March 9th and 10th 2013 and secured their 11th consecutive and 35th Intercollegiate national title. Racing on unfamiliar and relatively open terrain in cold conditions the West Point orienteering team, nonetheless, swept the men’s varsity category, with Cadet Nolan Miles (2013, D2) placing first, Zach Schroeder (2014, A2) second, and Andrew Eck (2013, F1) third by only 1 second. Cadet Judelyn Farrow (2015, G4) placed third in the women’s varsity category. Newcomer to the team, Cadet Patrick Richardson (2016, H1) navigated to an impressive race in the Junior Category.
12-13 April 2014: West Point 35th Annual A Meet
Bruce B. O'Neill Class of 1982 Memorial Award
- U.S. Intercollegiate Orienteering Team Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1988, 1987, 1986, 1985, 1982, 1981, 1980, 1979, 1978
- Field and Stream Intercollegiate Club Champions: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1988, 1987, 1986, 1985, 1982, 1981, 1980, 1979, 1978
- U.S. Intercollegiate Orienteering Individual Women's Champion: 2014 - MacKenzie Hudgins, 2012 - Hannah Burgess, 2010 - Hannah Burgess, 2007 - Sarah Klaben, 2005 - Sarah Klaben, 1994 - Frances Danaher, 1989 - Amy Williams, 1988 - Kelly O'Rourke, 1987 - Donna Everson, 1986 - Donna Everson, 1983 - Mary Costello, 1981 - Marianne Keil, 1980 - Erin O'Connor
- U.S. Intercollegiate Orienteering Individual Men's Champion: 2014 - Zach Schroeder, 2013 - Nolan Miles, 2012 - Keith Andersen, 2011 - Jordan Laughlin, 2009 - Neal Trump, 2008 - Jordan Laughlin, 2007 - Andrew Komm, 2002 - Josh Barten, 1999 - Pete Nelson, 1998 - Jeremy McKnight, 1980 - Mikell Platt, 1977 - Tim Daniels
U.S. Senior Orienteering Team at World Orienteering Championships (WOC)
- 2013 - Finland: Hannah Burgess ('12)
- 2012 - Lausanne Switzerland: Hannah Burgess ('12), Jordan Laughlin ('11) first alternate
- 2011 - Savoie France: Jordan Laughlin ('11), Hannah Burgess ('12)
U.S. Junior Orienteering Team at Junior World Orienteering Championships (JWOC)
- 2013 - Hradec Králové, Czech Rep: Jacob Grant ('15) second alternate, Duncan Miller ('15) third alternate
- 2012 - Kosice, Slovakia: John Hensley-Williams ('15)
- 2011 - Poland: Zachary Schroeder ('14)
- 2010 - Aalbrog, Denmark, Keith Anderson ('12), Hannah Burgess ('12)
- 2008 - Gotenburg, Swenden: Jordan Laughlin ('11)
U.S. University Orienteering Team at World University Orienteering Championships (WUOC)
- 2014 - Olomouc Czech Republic: Zachary Schroeder ('14), Jacob Grant ('15), Duncan Miller ('15), Charles Whitaker ('14), McKenzie Hudgins ('14), Rachel Wolfe ('15), Nick Ives ('16), Hans Sitarz ('16), James O'Keefe ('15) Alternate, Pat Richardson ('16) Alternate
- 2012 - Aleconte Spain: Keith Andersen ('12), McKenzie Hudgins ('14), Charles Whitaker ('14), John Williams ('15)
- 2010 - Borlänge Swenden: Jordan Laughlin ('11), Kevin Culberg ('11), Keith Anderson ('12), Hannah Burgess ('12)
- 2008 - Tartu Estonia: Madeline Lewis ('09) Neal Trump ('09), Nickolaus Fuhriman ('10), Nicholas Lewis-Wall ('10), Jordan Laughlin ('11)
- 2006 - Košice, Slovakia: Chelsea Cunningham ('07), Sarah Klaben ('07), Andrew Komm ('07), Matt Sherburne ('07), Zach Taron ('07)
- 2004 - Plzeň, Czech Republic: Jerre Hansborough ('04), Matt Mogensen ('04), Dave Howald ('04), Andrew Komm ('07)