Peer-Reviewed/ Refereed Journal Publications:
· Thompson, W. 2012. A Very Dangerous Place: A Review of Hazards in Pakistan and a Recommendation for Improved Understanding. Journal of Military Geography. 1: 34-56.
· Thompson, W. 2011. Perfect Strangers: An Examination of Contemporary Military Involvement in Humanitarian Affairs. Journal of Military Geography. Special Edition(1): 1-16.
· Thompson, W. 2011. An assessment of geo-information use during the 2005 Kashmir earthquake response and recommendations to improve future use. International Journal Emergency Management. 8(1): 26-41.
· Thompson, W. 2010. More Than a Field Trip: Geointerpretation Opportunities Foster Learning and Encourage Local Community Stewardship. Journal of Geography. 109(3): 124-129.
· Thompson, W. 2010. Success in Kashmir: a positive trend in civil-military integration during humanitarian assistance operations. Disasters. 34(1): 1-15.
· Thompson, W. 2008. School-Based Relief Centers: A Community Level Assessment and Discussion. Journal of Emergency Management. 6(6): 62-72.
· Thompson, W. 1999. Map Design Enhancement for Terrain Visualization by Army Aviators. Cartographic Perspectives. 33:62-65.
· Thompson, W. 2011. Natural Hazards, Vulnerability, and Disaster Preparedness in Pakistan. In Understanding Pakistan Through Human and Environmental Systems.
· Lohman, A. and W. Thompson. (Forthcoming) The Bengal Famine. In Food and Famine in the 21st Century. Dando, W. (eds.), Santa Barbara, California: ABC-CLIO.
· Thompson, W. (Forthcoming). Cooperation Between Civilian and Military. In Encyclopedia of Disaster Relief. Penuel, K and M. Statler, (eds.), Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.
· Thompson, W. 2010. Infrastructure Vulnerability in a Catastrophic CSZ Event and Implications on Disaster Response for the Oregon Coast. In Modern Military Geography. Galgano, F. and E. Palka (eds.), New York, New York: Routledge.
· Thompson, W. 2004. Location. In Iraq: Geographical Perspectives. Malinowski, J., (ed.), New York: McGraw-Hill/Dushkin.
· Thompson, W. 2004. Location. In Afghanistan: Geographical Perspectives. Palka, E.J., (ed.), New York: McGraw-Hill/Dushkin.
· Thompson, W. 2000. Military Land: Multi-Disciplinary Land Use Planning. In The Scope of Military Geography: Across the Spectrum from Peacetime to War, Palka, E.J. and Galgano, F.A., (eds.), New York, New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
· Thompson, W. and S. Halter. 2006. Aviation Warfighters Excel During Disaster Assistance Operations. Army Aviation. 55(2): 40-43.
Photo Publication Credits:
· Thompson, W. 2007. In Kaneda H., T. Nakata, H. Tsutsumi, H. Kondo, N. Sugito, Y. Awata, S. Akhtar, A. Majid, W. Khattak, A. Awan, R. Yeats, A. Hussain, and A. Kausar, 2007. Surface rupture of the 2005 Kashmir, Pakistan, earthquake, and its active tectonic implications, submitted to Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America.
· Thompson, W. 2006. Geophenomena – Kashmir Landslide Snapshot. Geotimes. 51(1): 38-39.
Thesis and Dissertation:
· Thompson, W. 1999. A Map Enhancement For Terrain Visualization Under Night Vision Goggle Compatible Lighting Systems. Masters Research Paper, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon: 37 pp.