Maritza S. Ryan
Professor & Deputy Department HeadContact:Phone:
Professor & Department Head, USMA (2006-present); Academy Professor & Deputy Head, Department of Law, USMA (2001- 2005); Deputy Staff Judge Advocate & Staff Judge Advocate, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, Army Medical Department Center & School, Fort Sam Houston, Texas (2000-2001); Chief of Military Justice, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, 25th Infantry Division (Light), Schofield Barracks, Hawaii (1997-1998); Officer-in-Charge, Fort Shafter Branch, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, 25th Infantry Division (Light), Hawaii (1995-1997); Assistant Professor, Department of Law, USMA (1992-1994); Senior Defense Counsel, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma (1991-1992); Brigade Legal Counsel, Desert Shield/Desert Storm (1991-1992); Senior Trial Counsel, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma (1989-1991); Executive Officer, Headquarters & Headquarters Battery, and Division Artillery Assistant Adjutant, 1st Armored Division, Pinder Barracks, West Germany (1983-1985)
- B.S., United States Military Academy
- J.D., Vanderbilt Law School
- LL.M., The Judge Advocate General's School
- M.A., Naval War College
- “‘Some Leaders are Born Women:’ Gender Diversity and Leadership,” Article, Women Lawyers Journal, Spring 2010.
- “In Blood and Spirit,” Essay for Book, The Shriver Report: A Woman's Nation Changes Everything, by Maria Shriver (Simon & Schuster: 2009).
- Presented article, “Let the Commander Answer: The Doctrine of Respondeat Superior & the War on Terror,” Joint Columbia University, Princeton University, and West Point Conference on “Jurisprudence and the War against Terror,” Columbia Law School, New York City, April 22, 2006.
- Article 88, UCMJ: Leadership Challenge for the Officer Corps, Military Review, Volume LXXXIX, November-December 1999, No. 6.
- The Betrayed Profession: Lawyering at the End of the Twentieth Century (Book Review), Military Law Review, Volume 145, Summer 1994.
- LW403 - Constitutional and Military Law