About the Team
The West Point Speech Team is a competitive speech and debate team sponsored by the Department of Law.
The Speech Team
- Competes at the highest level in the country
- Competitors include: Yale, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Smith, Stanford, Swarthmore, University of Chicago, and William & Mary, all members of the prestigious American Parliamentary Debate Association (APDA)
The Speech Team's 30 members work continuously to place well in competitions and to improve individual speaker skills, and to challenge their perspectives with new and bold topics of debate.
The club offers cadets the opportunity to
- Compete in an intercollegiate team
- Develop and refine public speaking skills
- Think on their feet and master the arts of communication, argumentation, rhetoric and research
- Become involved early and remain involved throughout their time at the Academy Develop leadership skills and lifelong friendships
The team experience highlights the importance of training, competence, morale, motivation, and cohesion to unit success. Finally, the team offers positive social activities and events for cadets to get to know and build friendships with their peers at other prestigious institutions around the country.