Mission, Vision, and Goals
This Library Policy Operating Memorandum is maintained by the office of the Librarian and Associate Dean, USMA.
Effective 1 July 2012
The United States Military Academy Library defines a mission, vision, and goals for all activities.
The United States Military Academy Library empowers our cadets, faculty, and staff to be leaders of distinction in scholarship and research by providing:
- teaching and expertise in the discovery and application of scholarly information;
- access to information supporting the curriculum and independent research;
- a place to engage with knowledge, ideas, and one another.
The United States Military Academy Library embraces and advances scholarship and research in a digital world through the development of skills, collections, and tools designed to equip future leaders and scholars for the Army and the nation. We challenge ourselves as information professionals to lead our community forward in adapting to the rapidly changing landscape of scholarship and library service. We build outstanding digital collections in support of the Academy curriculum, enhanced by appropriate local physical collections. We develop innovative and relevant tools to deliver, discover, and disseminate scholarship and research to our community, wherever they may be. We promote Jefferson Hall as the central place of multi-disciplinary and collaborative scholarly engagement for West Point and the Army. We pursue excellence in all that we do.
The United States Military Academy Library:
- Partners with faculty and staff to equip cadets with the information fluency skills to conduct meaningful scholarship while becoming life-long learners, critical thinkers, and effective leaders.
- Acquires and maintains outstanding academic information resources designed to support the curriculum.
- Offers a collaborative, engaging place for scholarship and study.
- Advances the role of scholarship and research within the Academy and the Army.
- Shares the story and history of West Point and the Academy with the world.
- Develops and grows leaders in academic information service.
- Collaborates and builds relationships with our peers locally, nationally, and internationally.
The proponent for this Dean’s Policy Operating Memorandum is the Librarian and Associate Dean, USMA, USMA Library, Office of the Dean, MADN-LIB, x3833.
LPOM 1-1: Mission, Vision and Goals