Employee Tours of Duty
This Library Policy Operating Memorandum is maintained by the office of the Librarian and Associate Dean, USMA.
Effective 1 November 2012
The United States Military Academy Library sets a standard tour of duty for all employees. Employees may request to adjust the standard tour of duty according to the parameters set forth in this policy.
Standard Tour of Duty
The standard duty day for USMA Library employees is 0745 to 1630 consisting of an eight-hour work day and a 45 minute lunch break. This duty day is repeated Mondays through Fridays over a two week period resulting in an 80-hour tour.
Regular Tour of Duty
- A regular tour of duty is defined as the baseline schedule for an employee that defines their reporting and departing time for all days on which they are assigned to work on a regular and rotating basis. . A regular tour of duty may conform to the standard tour of duty (80 hours per pay period / Mondays-Fridays / 0745-1630) or may apply variations within the parameters of this policy.
- All employees will have a set and regular tour of duty schedule. For employees required to perform duties on evenings, weekends, or holidays, the regular tours of duty may include those assignments.
- Any situational changes to a regular tour of duty may be requested by an employee to their supervisor to be satisfied by a temporary adjustment or the application of available leave.
- Supervisors are encouraged to collaborative with employees to find regular tours of duty and duty day schedules that best meet the needs of the USMA Library and the employee.
- Individual divisions within the USMA Library may have independent requirements for staffing that will affect the design and scheduling of regular tours of duty.
Evening, Weekend, or Holiday Work
Some positions will require regular or intermittent evening, weekend, and holiday work. Specific requirements for a given position are included in the position description. Employees scheduled for regular evening work will design a regular tour of duty that accommodates their assigned work. Weekend and holiday scheduling is generally handled on an irregular basis and will not be incorporated into a regular tour of duty. Employees scheduled for irregular weekend or holiday work will make appropriate temporary adjustments to their regular tour of duty in consultation with their supervisor.
Eligibility for Flexible Work Schedules
Assigned regular tours of duty vary for USMA Library employees, and are primarily determined by the needs of the library mission to serve the Corps of Cadets, faculty, and staff of the Academy. In some cases, employees may have the option to exercise a flexible schedule when designing a regular tour of duty. Flexible schedules are approved for employees at the discretion of their supervisor and are not automatically conveyed through any position or appointment. Assigned regular tours of duty may be adjusted at any time based on mission requirements (with appropriate consultation for employees represented by the bargaining unit).
Flexible scheduling is defined as the ability to set and maintain a regular tour of duty schedule that may vary within prescribed limits from the standard tour of duty. Flexible scheduling is not defined as the ability to report or depart at will. All employees will have a regular reporting and departing time for each day on their regular tour of duty.
Core Hours and Outer Boundaries
The USMA Library maintains core hours of 0930 to 1430 for all employees. During these hours, all employees are expected to be at work. Exceptions to the core hour requirement include: employees scheduled for evening shifts; employees scheduled for full or partial Regular Days Off; employees exercising a temporary adjustment to cover weekend or holiday work; or employees in leave status. Regular tours of duty assigned under flexible scheduling may not begin prior to 0600, or extend after 1800 unless the employee is scheduled and authorized for evening shift duties.
Length of the Duty Day and Eligible Breaks
The maximum allowable hours for a regularly scheduled duty day are ten hours (not including a lunch break). Lunch breaks will be scheduled between 30 and 60 minutes. Other breaks aside from lunch breaks are available at the discretion of and coordination with the supervisor.
Regular Days Off
With permission of their supervisor, employees may construct a schedule that includes 80 hours per pay period over nine or eight working days. Doing so results in full or partial Regular Day(s) Off (RDO). Employees may not be scheduled for more than two full Regular Days Off per pay period, and those days may not be scheduled consecutively.
Night differential pay applies to hours worked as part of the regular tour of duty or temporary assignment to cover evenings, weekends, or holidays after 1800. Night differential pay is not payable for credit hours from temporary adjustments to hours worked before 0600 or after 1800. Employees are authorized to work up to 80 hours per pay period. Overtime hours or Compensatory Time must be approved in writing and in advance by the Librarian, USMA and the Associate Dean for Personnel and Resources.
Any exceptions to the design of a regular tour of duty from the parameters set forth in this policy must be approved by the Librarian, USMA.
The proponent for this Dean’s Policy Operating Memorandum is the Librarian and Associate Dean, USMA, USMA Library, Office of the Dean, MADN-LIB, x3833.
LPOM 1-6: Employee Tours of Duty