External Reference and Research Support
This Library Policy Operating Memorandum is maintained by the office of the Librarian and Associate Dean, USMA.
Effective 3 May 2013
The United States Military Academy Library exists to provide library and information services to support cadets, faculty, and staff. While the USMA Library is not a public library or public library facility, it does provide limited and defined reference and research support to individuals and organizations external to West Point and the U.S. Army.
This policy applies to individuals and organizations who are not listed as eligible library users under LPOM 2-1, Paragraph 2a.
Scope of Reference and Research Support
Reference and research support to external constituents is limited to:
- Queries regarding the West Point Military Reservation, the United States Military Academy, and graduates of the United States Military Academy including those individuals requesting assistance under 36 CFR Chapter XII, Subchapter C. The amount of time allocated to reference assistance for off-site, external patrons may be limited based on availability.
- Support for on-site researchers who request to use the U.S. government publications under 44 USC 19 – 1909.
Reference and research support is not available to external constituents for the following types of queries:
- General reference queries unrelated to West Point, the United States Military Academy, or its graduates.
- Use of licensed library resources made available by the USMA Library for our cadets, faculty, and staff.
- Current or historical military personnel records.
- Current or historical information regarding the U.S. Army or U.S. Army units.
Physical Access to USMA Library Facilities
Access to all USMA Library facilities is limited to authorized individuals as defined in DPOM 8-1. USMA Library collections and facilities are not open to the general public.
Media Inquiries and Access
All media inquiries or requests for media access to USMA Library collections and facilities should be directed to the United States Military Academy Office of Public Affairs by email (email@example.com) or by telephone at 845-938-2006.
Disclosure and Reproduction
The United States Military Academy Library conforms to all applicable laws and regulations governing:
- Disclosure of information held in our collections. Not all materials held may be available for research and/or use.
- Copyright and reproduction of materials. Not all materials held may be available for reproduction.
The United States Military Academy reserves the right to charge fees to researchers for the use of resources expended in the process of fulfilling external reference and research support. By regulation, this does not apply to requests made in the course of official government action.
Records of library activity, including reference and research transactions are confidential and will not be released unless under proper subpoena. All requests for library activity data must be referred to the Librarian, USMA.
Requests for exceptions to this policy should be made in writing to the Librarian, USMA.
The proponent for this Dean’s Policy Operating Memorandum is the Associate Director for Information Gateway, USMA Library, Office of the Dean, MADN-LIB, x1184.
LPOM 2-2: External Reference and Research Support
^ Back to Top