Purpose of the Program
The Systems Engineering Department sends cadets around the country and globe each summer to work with industry, Department of Defense, government, and academia. This program broadens our cadet’s perspectives and provides an opportunity to apply what they have learned in the classroom in the real world while making a valuable contribution to their internship organization.
Cadets intern for 3-4 weeks from May to August each summer. Interns are rising juniors or seniors majoring in one of our three Department majors: Systems Engineering, Engineering Management, or Operations Research. Cadet interns work on an appropriately scoped project under the supervision of an assigned organization mentor. They are expected to produce an appropriate deliverable and outbrief the senior leadership of the organization.
- Expose future Army officers to industry, DOD agencies, and research agencies that support the warfighter.
- Gain fresh perspectives and ideas from highly educated students that are versed in the latest in Systems Engineering methodologies, tools, and techniques.
- Ability to put manpower on a problem set that has been placed on the back burner because of day-to-day operations.
- Serve as a conduit into the USMA research network with the possibility for further research work on a year-long cadet senior project.
- Cadets are able to observe how the Systems Engineering methodologies, tools, and techniques they have been taught are applied in world-class organizations...bringing classroom concepts to life.
- Cadets are exposed to industry, DOD agencies, and research agencies that support the warfighter.
- Cadets are challenged and developed academically.