Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
History                                                                                                                                                    FANofPANE_half.png

The Department of Physics and Nuclear Engineering originated as a provisional Department of Physics in 1931 in response to the rapidly increasing role of science and technology in modern warfare.  Recognizing the need to modernize cadet education, the Academic Board created this department under the leadership of COL Gerald Counts. During the post World War II academic reforms, it became a permanent part of the Academy.  In 2009, to formally incorporate our ABET accredited Nuclear Engineering program into the Department's name, we asked the Department of the Army to change the name to Physics and Nuclear Engineering.