About Research Activities
The Associate Dean for Research, Director of Research Operations, and the Academic Research Council serve as the Dean’s source of research information, outreach and oversight. They develop and implement the processes and programs to facilitate research by the cadets and faculty.
Associate Dean for Research (Acting)
The Associate Dean for Research serves as the focal point for research and liaison to external research agencies. Advises the Dean on matters pertaining to academic research and leveraging faculty expertise to the Army and our nation. Provides the institutional oversight on all research activities and research resourcing at West Point.
COL Michael Phillips, PhD, is West Point’s Acting Associate Dean for Research. COL Phillips received a Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering from Clemson University, a M.S. in Applied Mathematics from The Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey California, and a B.A. in Mathematics from Cameron University. At the Academy, COL Phillips’ assignments include Department Head for the Department of Mathematical Sciences and he currently teaches MA371 (Linear Algebra).
Director of Research Operations
The Director of Research Operations supports the Associate Dean for Research and the Academic Research Division by providing project management; strategic communications and outreach; departmental and research center collaboration; funds processing guidance and budgeting; and program assessment.
Anthony N. Johnson earned a PhD in Computational Analysis from the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey California and has held a variety of technical positions to include Fiber Optic Cable System Engineer for the White House Communications Agency. He is currently an Academy Professor in the Department of Mathematics at the United States Military Academy at West Point, where he combines his signal communications experience with his academic background in linear algebra to explore and exploit networks. He deployed to Iraq with United States Forces where he served as the Chief of Counter Improvised Explosive Device (CIED) Operations. He is also the co-founder of the U. S. Military’s Advanced Network Analysis and Targeting (ANAT) course, teaching network analysis techniques to CENTCOM forces in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
Academic Research Council
Fosters cooperation among West Point departments and research organizations to promote research activities at the Academy. Serves as an advisory and recommending body to the Dean on matters relating to academic research at West Point.
- ARC Chair:
COL Daniel McCarthy, PhD - ORCEN Director - Systems Engineering
- ARC Deputy Chair:
Dr Jon Steigman - Department of Foriegn Languages
Academic Research Council Members
- LTC David Borowicz - Civil & Mechanical Engineering
- Dr Bill Brechue - Department of Physical Education
- Dr Kathleen Campbell - Department of Behavioral Sciences & Leadership
- LTC Liam Collins - Department of Social Sciences
- LTC Bill Czajkowski, PhD - Nuclear Science Engineering & Research Center
- Dr John Farr - Center for Nation Reconstruction and Capacity Development
- LTC Bruce Floersheim - Center for Innovation and Engineering
- COL Andy Glen, PhD - Department of Mathematics
- MAJ Rob Grimming - Department of Physics and Nuclear Engineering
- Dr Jonathan Gumz - Department of History
- LTC Paul Kucik, PhD - Department of Systems Engineering
- LTC Steve Lasse, PhD - Department of English & Philosophy
- Mr Rick Metro - Department of Military Instruction
- LTC Bill Pearman - Department of Chemistry and Life Sciences
- COL Jim Raftery, PhD - Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Dr Jon Steigman - Foreign Languages
- Dr Gunnar Tamm - Civil & Mechanical Engineering
- COL David Wallace, JD - Department of Law