The Associate Dean for Research, Director of Research Operations, and the Academic Research Council serve as the Dean’s source of research information, outreach and oversight. They develop and implement the processes and programs to facilitate research by the cadets and faculty.
Associate Dean for Research
The Associate Dean for Research serves as the focal point for research and liaison to external research agencies. Advises the Dean on matters pertaining to academic research and leveraging faculty expertise to the Army and our nation. Provides the institutional oversight on all research activities and research resourcing at West Point.
COL John M. Graham, PhD, is West Point’s Associate Dean for Research. John received a PhD from Carnegie Mellon University, a M.S. from Ohio State University and a B.S. from West Point. At the Academy, LTC Graham’s assignments include Director of the West Point Network Science Center, Executive Officer to the Superintendent, Program Manager for Engineering Psychology and General Psychology, and the Laboratory Director in the Behavioral Sciences and Leadership Department at West Point. His operational assignments include Officer in Charge at the Space Control Detachment of Army Space Command (OEF), the Director of Space Intelligence and Operations Courses (NORAD/USSPCECOM), and leadership positions in the 10th Mountain Division, 82nd Airborne Division, and Korea. He is Space Operations, Jumpmaster, and Ranger Qualified. John also works with the Cadet Scoutmaster’s Council and serves as a leader-mentor. His own research area is in Computational Sociology with focus on both insurgent network exploitation and military organizational collaboration.
Director of Research Operations
The Director of Research Operations supports the Associate Dean for Research and the Academic Research Division by providing project management; strategic communications and outreach; departmental and research center collaboration; funds processing guidance and budgeting; and program assessment.
Mr. John B. Willis is West Point’s Director of Research Operations. John received both M.S. (Systems Engineering) and B.S. (Mechanical Engineering) degrees from the University of Virginia. An Adjunct Professor for USMA’s Network Science Center and a Senior Analyst for Augustine Consulting, Inc. in Monterey, California, Mr. Willis is a retired Army lieutenant colonel whose last active duty assignment was as Executive Officer and Assistant Professor in the Department of Systems Engineering at West Point. In previous assignments, he served as an Operations Research Analyst for the TRADOC Analysis Center – Monterey (TRAC-M) and for the Operations Research Center (ORCEN) at USMA. He served in a variety of leadership and staff assignments in the US and overseas as a field artillery officer in the 212th FA Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, V Corps Artillery, and 1st Infantry Division (Forward). John is an active member of the West Point-Highland Falls Rotary Club and the Military Operations Research Society (MORS).
Academic Research Council
Fosters cooperation among West Point departments and research organizations to promote research activities at the Academy. Serves as an advisory and recommending body to the Dean on matters relating to academic research at West Point.
- ARC Chair:
Dr Jon Steigman - Foreign Languages
- ARC Deputy Chair:
COL James Raftery - Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Academic Research Council Members
- Ms. Catherine Bale - Civil & Mechanical Engineering
- LTC David Borowicz - Civil & Mechanical Engineering
- Dr Bill Brechue - Physical Education
- COL Tony Burgess - Center for the Advancement of Leader Development and Organizational Learning
- Dr Kathleen Campbell - Behavioral Sciences & Leadership
- Dr. John Farr - Systems Engineering
- COL Steven Fleming - Geography & Environmental Engineering
- LTC Bruce Floersheim - Civil & Mechanical Engineering
- LTC Louis Florence - Physics & Nuclear Engineering
- LTC Justin Gage - English & Philosophy
- COL Andy Glen - Mathematics
- COL John Graham - Associate Dean for Research
- LTC Paul Kucik - Systems Engineering
- COL Dan McCarthy - Systems Engineering
- Mr Rick Metro - Military Instruction
- Mr. Delroy Patrick - US Corps of Cadets
- Dr. Ericka Rovira - Behavioral Sciences & Leadership
- LTC Michael Saxon - English & Philosophy
- Dr. Thomas Sherlock - Social Sciences
- LTC Scott Smith - Center for Enhanced Performance
- COL David Wallace - Department of Law
- Dr. Ken Wickiser - Chemistry & Life Science