Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Kings Point, New York – Over this past Saturday, 26 April 2014, the Army Rugby Team made the short trip from the Hudson River Valley to Long Island to play the United States Merchant Marine, Coast Guard, and Naval Academies in the annual Poseidon Cup. Usually open to only seafaring Academies, the hosts, USMMA, opened the tournament up to the Army Brothers this year. Army went undefeated during the tournament, beating the Midshipmen 15-14, Merchant Marines 27-3, and Coasties 62-0. Each team presented a different, dynamic approach to rugby however the Army team was able to stay disciplined each match and play some winning rugby.

 The first match of the day was the classic derby match between the Naval and Military Academy. The two teams both held onto decent amounts of possession until the scoring was opened up by plebe and standout rookie Andrew Fargo of San Diego, California. The conversion was no good, but the Army were able to convert a penalty later right before halftime – 8 to 0 for the Army Brothers. The second half started with more successes from Army with center Logan Weiland scoring a try between the posts off of a beautiful set piece pattern. The midshipmen were not going to let the game end with an Army shutout; they scored two converted tries with only seconds remaining on the clock. However, the Army team was able to stay calm and ended the game with a 1 point victory.

After watching a few other tournament match ups, including the rivalry match between Coast Guard and USMMA, it was time for Army’s second match of the day against hosts, USMMA. The game started much more quickly than against Navy – it did not take long for up and coming center, Logan Weiland to break through the Merchant’s defensive line off of a 5m scrum. After this early try, West Point was able to keep up the momentum throughout the second half and until the end of the match, ending 27-3 Army.

With a 10 minute break between matches, Army began its final match against the Coast Guard Academy. Unfortunately, the Coasties were lacking several seniors as their traditional ring weekend ceremonies conflicted with the tournament. This put the coast guard at a significant disadvantage as the Army team was able to start its full 2015 side. Both teams played great rugby, however the Black Knights were more consistent and fitter after a thorough day of rugby and ended the match 62-0.
After a full day of rugby, each team was ready to head home after the final match and trophy celebration.  Army won the Poseidon Cup with a record of 3-0. Army would like to thank the referees and other supporters that enabled this tournament to take place. Once again, Army extends its gratitude to the United States Merchant Marine Academy for invited the Black Knights to the tournament.
Grand Rapids, MI-
It was a hard fought match for the Brothers on April 19th as they traveled to Grand Rapids, Michigan to take on the Davenport Panthers. The Panthers capitalized on a few key mistakes by the Army side, while the Brothers were not able to return the favor.
Davenport jumped off to an early 8-0 lead after scoring a try and converting a penalty kick, but the Brothers wouldn’t back down without a fight.
A devastating maul drove the ball 15 meters down the field and was finally touched down by Cow Flanker Collum Magee. Fullback TJ Rowe made the conversion to make the score 8-7 Davenport.
After another try by Davenport, Magee outran everyone to the corner of the try zone for his second try of the match, making the score 15-12 in favor of the Panthers at halftime.
Seasoned head coach Mike Mahan made a few key half time adjustments, and after another converted penalty by Davenport, Captain Jeff Ferebee scored his first try of the match to make the score 19-18 and give the Brothers their first lead of the day.
A lull in the scoring was broken when Davenport converted yet another penalty kick to lead 21-19 with ten minutes left in the game.
The Army side continued to fight, however, and with four minutes left Jeff Ferebee scored again to put the Brothers up 24-21.
The lead was fleeting, however, as Davenport capitalized on a key mistake to get the ball back and score with less than a minute to play in the game, giving them the lead and the win with a final score of 28-24.
The loss marked the end of a successful season for West Point’s A side, with a record of four wins and two losses. West Point Rugby would like to thank everyone who was involved in the season and made it such a success.
B side taking the pitch at Navy
Foley, Bush, Ferebee
Rowe (2)
5 April 2014, Annapolis, MD --

 It was a long, hard-fought battle in Annapolis this past Saturday as the Brothers took on Navy at their home field.
The Cadets started the game off well and on good pace, leading to a penalty conversion from Firstie fly half Blake Hunnewell in windy conditions.

The strong start did not last, however, as the Navy side took advantage of some opportunities presented by the Brothers. The Midshipmen put up 24 unanswered points, including a lucky bounce off of Army Fullback TJ Rowe’s foot that went right into the hands of the Navy winger who went untouched for a try.

The Brothers ended a less-than-ideal first half on a positive note, as Cow Lock Ben Foley scored a try and Rowe converted to make the score after 40 minutes of play 24-10 in favor of Navy.

After some calming words by Coach Mike Mahan at halftime, the Brothers put together an impressive comeback attempt, pulling to within 33-22 after a magnificent diving try from Firstie Scrum Half and Co-Captain Aaron Bush and another from Captain Jeff Ferebee.

The comeback ultimately came up short as the Navy hooker picked off a pass and touched it down between the posts. A final try from the Navy Fly Half ended the game with the final score of 43-22 in favor of Navy.

The win for Navy marks the end of a three game winning streak that the West Point side has enjoyed in the series, each of the previous three games being decided by 5 points or less.
Everyone involved with the West Point Men’s Rugby team would like to thank all of the supporters who came to watch the game, and would like to remind them of our next game on May 3rd against the Merchant Marine Academy at Anderson Rugby Complex.
Hunnewell, Ferrebee, Fargo, Gordon
West Point, New  York. – On a chilly Tuesday night on April 1st in southern New York, the Army Rugby Team took on Iona University in what was Army’s first, and possibly only, home match of the season. Needing as many wins as possible to appeal for an invitation to the USA Rugby national tournament from the DIA East bracket, the Army Team applied the momentum from their Texas trip and continued their undefeated streak, beating Iona 73-0. The picturesque pitch provided a scenic backdrop for the clash with the Gaels, although the score does not accurately reflect the many threats and hard effort put forth by Iona.
The match started off slowly, both Army and Iona cautiously probed each others’ defense for a potential weakness. Army struck first, with a try from starting fly-half and senior (firstie) Blake Hunnewell. After the initial score, Army continued to press the Gael defense, and ending the first half leading 30-0.
With Navy in a few days, the Army team knew all spotlight would be on them to finish off a formidable Iona team. After a half full of errors from both sides, Army really opened up their play and scoring potential in the second half. Points rained in from fly-half Blake Hunnewell, skipper Jeff Ferebee, and young freshman Andrew Fargo. Despite a yellow card halfway through the second half, the Army Brothers charged forward with two 40m tries from TJ Rowe and Jake Banarhall to put Army back on track. Army ended the scoring and the match (due to lightning) with a try from blind-side flanker Max Gordon in the 70th minute.
After the tough game, both teams went to the main trophy room of Anderson Rugby Complex to enjoy a post-match social, customary of all rugby matches. Despite playing on a weeknight in the middle of a rough semester, the Iona Gaels were more than happy to make the trip to West Point and give the Army Rugby Team another match needed for a successful appeal to USA Rugby and the D1A board.
Army Rugby would like to thank Iona University, and the efforts of Meg Hunnewell and the rest of the Army Rugby Family for making this game possible.
College Station, Texas – On 20 March 2014 the Army Rugby Team made the journey from Austin, TX to College Station, home of the Texas A&M “Aggies” for what would be their match of their 2014 Spring Texas Tour. With wins over University of Texas and Baylor earlier in the week, the Army Team looked to go undefeated throughout their Texas series, beating the Aggies 46-12. The Aggies put up a tough fight in the opening half; however Army’s desire to finish their tour undefeated proved too strong a force for the east Texans to quell.
Army began the game with their strongest line up yet, notably including yearling Donny Goff at #1, and cows Ben Foley and Collum Magee at #5 and #7. The game opened up immediately as firstie scrumhalf Aaron Bush started the scoring with a quick try in the opening minutes of the first half. After that, the Brothers kept up the pressure with tries raining in from both wingers, John Gabe Chrismon and Alex Abia, and blind side flanker, Jake Christiansen. The most notable part of the match came at the end of the 1st half, as future Aviator Nick George, Army’s starting 8-man, ran 99 meters, breaking tackles left and right, to score a try for Army under the posts, ending the half 25-0 to Army.
West Point continued to press the Aggies in the second half with early tries from center, Andy Ashton, and a double from the Skipper, Jeff Ferebee. Exhaustion from the long week of training two previous matches was noticeable towards the end of the final match as A&M’s substitutes were able to rally and score two tries, converting one, in the last minutes of the final half. The final score was 46-12, making the Army 3-0 for the A-side matches in Texas.
It must be mentioned that the Army Team is extremely grateful for the hospitality shown by the Texas A&M Aggies with their facilities and tasty post-game social. Furthermore, the West Point Rugby Program would like to give the University of Texas, Baylor, and A&M a huge thank you for being willing to play us despite league and play off matches being only days after these friendlies. Lastly, Army Rugby would like to thank their supporters for being able to make it out to College Station, TX.
Waco, Texas. - The second stop of the 2014 Army Rugby Texas Tour brought the Brothers to Waco, TX on March 18th to take on the Baylor Bears. The Cadets were able to ride the momentum from their victory over the University of Texas earlier in to week to achieve a 79-5 victory over Baylor. The picturesque pitch provided a scenic backdrop for the rout of the Bears, although the score does not tell of the hard-fought effort Baylor put forth.
The match began with Baylor recovering their own opening kick. The Bears managed to drive all the way down to the Army tryline, and even managed to get into the try zone before the play was called back due to a knock-on.  The Bears then recovered possession of the ball on the five meter line and were poised to score before the Cadets upped their defensive effort. What followed was a five minute succession of hard hits which ended up driving Baylor back to midfield, most notable of which came from Plebe Flanker Ben Lemon and Firstie Captain Jeff Ferebee.
The Cadets drew first blood as a quick pass from Jake Banarhall to Blake Hunnewell off of the Army scrum led to a 50 meter try from Firstie Winger Gabe Chrismon in the seventh minute of the match. From that point on the Brothers maintained complete control, scoring 13 tries before Baylor could answer with their own in the closing seconds. Army try scorers are as follows: Abia (4), Chrismon (3), George (2), Tengtio, Ashton, Rowe, and Foley.
Firstie Flyhalf Blake Hunnewell went 7/13 on conversion kicks on the day.
Another key component of the Army victory was the success of their set-pieces, which were successful 75% of the time and directly led to four of the thirteen tries.
As aforementioned, the final score is not indicative of the tremendous effort the Baylor Bears put forth, as the match was a hard-fought battle from beginning to end. The Bears charged the line with great speed and physicality, but simply could not manage to break through the Brothers’ defense or keep up with the tremendous back-line play of Army from firstie Wings Alex Abia and Gabe Chrismon and Firstie Fullback TJ Rowe. Army Rugby would like to thank their supporters for making it out to Waco, TX and also the Baylor Bears for providing tough competition and hospitality after the match.
Pearce, Rowe,
Hunnewell- 2
Austin, Texas. - It was an emotional game as the Army Rugby team returned to the pitch for the first time after an eleven month absence. The game took place on Saturday, 15 March in Austin against the University of Texas. Old Grads and new fans alike flocked to the pitch to see the Brothers' successful return, as they picked up where they left off with a hard-fought 41-5 win.
It was a tough game early on as both teams struggled to find the try zone. The Army side faltered initially with poor kicks and penalties, but was able to force in a try to score first after ten minutes of play. Another try by the pack in the 15th minute was followed by a successful conversion by the Firstie Flyhalf Blake Hunnewell to put Army up 12-0.
The Longhorns did not go down without a fight, however, as a strong push by their pack allowed them to punch in a try just before half, making the score 12-5.
In the second half, the Cadets shook off the rust and settled in to their style of play. The Brothers struck first out of the half with another try, and the points started rolling.
A great pass from Firstie Center Matthew Barber to Cow Winger Logan Pearce was followed by a great conversion from Hunnewell to put the Black Knights up 29-5.
After another successful try and conversion, Firstie Fullback TJ Rowe scored another try to end the game, leaving the final score Army-41 University of Texas-5. 
The game marked a successful start to the team’s five game tour of Texas as well as a great return to the pitch. The Brothers would like to thank everyone who showed up to support them as well as the University of Texas side for providing a tough match.
Beck and Holder vs Navy 2013
Holder, Bounds, Abia, Moten
West Point, NY-  After securing the Rugby East Championship and top seeding in the USA Rugby National Championship play-off with a convincing 55-17 win over the University of Delaware, the West Point Rugby Team took on an undefeated Navy team last Saturday finishing the game out with a penalty kick from fly half Will Holder to seal the 28-26 victory over the midshipmen.
The Black Knights opened up the match a flurry of attacks in the Navy end yielding  an early penalty kick to go up 3 -0 in the first stanza of the game.  It was Navy who had the first try of the match after Army gave up the ball deep in its end from a kick off attack that went array for the Black Knights, making the score 3-7.  The black Knights would score next with a well worked try that saw Holder put the ball down under the post capitalizing on a well worked line out attack from the Army forwards.  After the conversion the Army team was up 10-7.  Exposing the space out wide, Navy scored to close out the half but could not convert putting the score 10-12 to Navy at the end of the first forty minutes.
Army took the field first from half time, ready to make a statement early in the second half.  Army charged down the paddock to see Josh Bounds scoring a well earned try in the 48th minute.  Holder’s conversion missed wide but Army was up 15-12 retaking the lead.  With Navy probing the Army defensive line, and an Army player off for ten minutes with a yellow card, it was the Navy fly half with a try of his own then hitting the conversion putting Navy up 15-19 with 20 minutes on the clock.  Army answered with some skilled ball movement from the Army backline sending senior Kyle Ulses through the Navy defense from fullback who then shifted to junior Alex Abia for the five pointer.  With the missed conversion, Army led by one point 20-19 with about sixteen minutes on the clock.   Army then quickly worked some quick phases to see Holder put senior Marshall Moten into some space then into the try zone- Army 25- Navy 19. 
Navy then moved the ball into the Army half off a penalty taking it to the line out.  After several phases Navy was able to find a gap in the Army defense scoring a solid try and converting the points- Navy led 25-26 with about three minutes on the clock.  Army worked hard off the kick off and locked down their defensive front to see a penalty come of the effort giving the Army team a chance at a penalty kick from about 40 meters out.  Will Holder stepped up to the tea and under the silence of the 2,000 in attendance slotted the kick making the score 28-26 with about a minute left on the clock and the referee holding the extra injury time on his watch.
At the reception of the kick off, Army worked a few tight phases looking to run out time, earning a penalty against the desperate Navy squad.  At the line out Army put the ball in to touch- winning a hard fought match with a 28-26 final score to Army.
The Black Knights face Life University of Atlanta on April 27 at 1pm in the quarter final match up here at West Point.  
Crist- 1, Retter- 1, Grado- 1, Moten- 1, Holder- 1, Ferebee- 1, Bounds- 1, Houston- 1
Holder- 6,
Holder- 1
Army clinched 1st place in the Rugby East conference in DI-A with a 55-17 defeat of Delaware Saturday.

The Blue Hens scored first but Army took over afterwards.
Holder kicked a penalty to make it 5-3, and then Karl Crist touched down to make it, with Holder's conversion, 10-5 Army. West Point kept up the scoring after that. Aaron Retter touched down, and then Holder made a big break before feeding Christian Grado for the try and a 24-5 lead. Delaware scored to make it 24-12, but then Marshall Moten capped off a maul for the Black Knights, and then Holder scored and converted his own.

A blocked kick set up Delaware's third try, but tries from Jeffrey
Ferebee, Josh Bounds (set up by Holder), and Erik Houston finished it off.

Meanwhile, Kutztown secured second with a 31-21 defeat of Penn State.

Come out this Satruday, 1800 at the Anderson Rugby Complex to watch the brothers take on Navy!

Final DI-A standings.

Rugby East W L T Pf Pa Pd BT BL Pts
Army 3 0 0 101 51 50 3 0 15
Kutztown 2 1 0 109 60 49 2 1 11
Penn State 1 2 0 122 53 69 1 1 6
Delaware 0 3 0 22 200 -178 0 0 0
Holder- 2, Chrismon- 1
Holder- 1
Army faced their toughest Rugby East opponent at home on Warrior Field. It was the first time this spring playing on the grass at the Anderson Rugby Complex, and the boys looked great. Although they struggled a bit defending the lineouts , the forwards dominated the rucks and scrums for the majority of the match. Coach Pohlidal challenged the backs to play tough defense in order to stop a high power, smash-mouth Nittany Lion attack. Penn State scored first, but Army put up 22 unanswered points, then held off a late charge to win the match 22-15. The Black Knights take on Delaware next Saturday at 1300. Check Facebook or Twitter for game time updates.
George; Lutterman; Ferebee
Holder, 1-3
Holder, 1-1
Army battled at Penn State on the West Campus Pitch Saturday evening, PSU firing early with 22 points combined tries and conversions with no points from Army and finishing the match on top of Army, 20-43.  Army lacked the momentum in the first half, giving up three tries in the first 15 minutes of play.  When Army finally gained ground, they had a 22 point deficit.  Will Holder utilized his talented foot when PSU received the penalty for not rolling away at the breakdown, nailing the penalty kick and putting Army on the board, 3-22.  With this new breath of life generated by Holder, Army received the ball on kick off and drove back down the field through multiple phases.  Nick George showed his speed on the line break, dashing through the opposition and scoring the try for Army, narrowing the score 8-22 at the half.

Army began the second half kicking to PSU, taking full advantage of the momentum achieved at the end of the first half.  Through 2 phases of offense, George Levy and Alan Lutterman anchored on the blind side of the break down, Levy recognizing the mismatch and demanding the ball. Levy shifted the ball to Lutterman, who finished in a the corner like a wing, scoring the try for Army, 13-22.  With the gap closing PSU was able to snatch the match back, while Army had cut the deficit to two tries.  State manufactured three tries and three conversions on Army’s defense, running the score up to 13-43.  A last gasp of effort came from Army’s offense with the carry by Army forward’s a meter off the try line.  Army prop, Jeff Ferebee, picked the ball and drove the ball in below PSU defenders for the try.  Will Holder converted to make the final score, Army 20 PSU 43.​
Dugan, 2; Banarhall; Ireland
Paz, 1-4
Army hosted the Merchant Marine Academy on a frigid Friday night under the lights of Anderson Rugby Complex, finishing with the 22-15 win.  Andrew Dugan, playing 8 Friday night, scored the first try of the match picking the ball from the 5 meter scrum and jamming the ball in for the try at the 12 minute mark.  USMMA answered with a try at the 19 minute mark, leveling the score at 5-5.  Then Army back, Jake Banarhall, scored the try for Army after weaving in and out of the opposition, widening the gap to 10-5.  Responding once again in the half, USMMA’s number 12 found the try line after 1st phase attack, evening the score again 10-10.  In extra time before the half, Jack Ireland made a quick heads-up play to dive over the line for the try, Adolfo Paz converted taking the team into the lockerroom with a 7 point lead, Army 17 – USMMA 10.

With both teams playing outstanding defense only two more tries came in the second half, one a piece.  Andrew Dugan pounded in his second try on the evening 5 minutes into the second half, putting Army up 22.  USMMA scored its final try at 67 minutes, final score 22-15.
Cole, 2
Hunnewell, 1-2
Hunnewell, 1-1
Army traveled to West New York Columbus Day weekend to take on St. Bonaventure University on Sunday, finishing with a tie and remaining first in the Empire Conference.  St. Bonaventure put up ten points in the first half and Army none, while the game was riddled with penalties and stoppage of play.  The only try scorer for Army, Morgan Cole, scored twice on the day, both coming in the second half. 

The first try for Army came from the forwards operating on a pick and jam movement and the second came in similar fashion.  Cole picked the ball from ten meters out, drove the ball right back around the breakdown and in for the try, cutting the difference, Army 5, St. Bonaventure 10.  The second came when Cole picked the ball from a sacked lineout and carried the ball in for an Army try, Blake Hunnewell converted and the score became Army 12, St. Bonaventure 15.  The tying score came with less than five minutes left in the game.  Hunnewell kicked for points within 30 meters and made the score even.  Army remains first in the Empire Conference.
Foley; Ferebee; Hunnewell
Hunnewell, 2-3
Hunnewell, 2-5
The Army Ruggers took on the Brockport Doggies at the home opener Saturday, ending in a tie, Army 25 - Brockport 25. Tries came from Ben Foley, Jeff Ferebee, and Blake Hunnewell.  Brockport scored first with a penalty kick from just over 22 meters out, and Army answered quickly at the opposite end of the field, Ben Foley getting the try from a lineout to maul. Blake Hunnewell converted, Army 7-3.  The second try came from second phase off the scrum, Jeff Ferebee shoving the ball in for a try, Army 12-3, after Hunnewell’s conversion.  Blake Hunnewell also hit a penalty kick the first half to give Army a 12 point lead going into the half.     

The second half of play, Army put up ten more points to take the lead 25-20.  Brockport took possession with three minutes left, making their last stand.  With several charges to the try line unsuccessful, Brockport managed to find the corner and tie the game.  The game finished 25-25 when Brockport missed the conversion kick.
Kaiser; Hess, 3; Barber; Grado, 2; Pruitt; Paz, 2; Morman, Bannerhall, 2; Cole; Paz; Pierce
Paz, 6-12; Meyers, 1-1
Army’s second side had a decisive victory over the Brockport Doggies Saturday, Army putting up 96 points and giving up none.  Try scorers:  Kaiser, three for Hess, Barber, two for Grado, Pruitt, two for Paz, Morman, two for Bannerhall, Cole, two for Paz, and Pierce.
Chrismon, 2; Cole, 3; McCollum, 2; Hess; Grado
Paz, 6-9
Paz, 1-1
Army’s second side defeated Fordham’s second side 60-0 Sunday. Army try scorers:  2 from John Chrismon, 3 from Donald Cole, 2 from Brian McCollum, 1 each by Eric Hess and Christian Grado.  Adolfo Paz was 6 for 9 on conversions and 1 for 1 on penalty kicks.
Magee, 2; Lutterman; George; Hunnewell
Hunnewell, 3-4
Hunnewell, 3-5
The Army Ruggers battled Fordham in the Bronx Sunday for the season opener, Army taking the 40-5 victory.  Tries scored by forwards Nick George, Alan Lutterman, two from Collum Magee and one from Army back Blake Hunnewell combined to decide the win Sunday.  The Army forwards struck first, Collum Magee receiving the off load to score the try and Blake Hunnewell converted, Army 7, Fordham 0.  Second to add points for Army, Alan Lutterman took the ball in for an uncontested try on the second phase of play from the lineout and Blake converted once again, Army 14-0.

The second half of play, Army came right back to work. Starting strong, Fly Half Cody Brown shifted the ball to Jeff Ferebee for the line break and an offload to Collum Magee who scored the try, Hunnewell converted for points, 21-5.  Through consistent pressure in the Fordham half, Army received advantage on the scrum from ten meters out of the try line, a powerful scrum pushing the ball over the try line where number 8, Nick George, was there to score the try, 26-5.  Finally, Andy Ashton shifted the ball to Hunnewell to put Army up 31-5.  Throughout the game, Blake Hunnewell made three penalty kicks to make the final score, Army 40 Fordham 5.
West Point, NY - The West Point Rugby Program hosted its second annual summer rugby camp this past week for boys aged 14 to 18. Sixty-five High School rugby players arrived at West Point on Sunday 29 July for a week long camp that would conclude Saturday 4 August. The camp focused on rugby skill development, leadership, strength, conditioning and nutrition. The campers enjoyed coaching from a variety of skilled counselors with; Neil McMillan who played 10 years of professional rugby in Ireland, Troy Hall, NYAC national champion and USA 7s player and 15s pool player, Justin Goonan, who just returned from a very successful trip with the USA U20 program as their strength and conditioning coach, Rys Chadwick, a player/coach from Hartpury College in England where he is working towards a masters degree in Coaching Science, Mike Petri, current USA Eagle and many more.

The Campers enjoyed 6 full days of rugby instruction where they were taught skills and then asked to apply them in mini games and a round robin style tournament. They were also afforded the opportunity to soak up some valuable information on leadership from several former West Point Army Rugby Players and current Army Officers, who provided their incite on leadership as it relates to both rugby and real life situations. The highlight for many at the camp was a scrimmage, where the campers were able to pull on a West Point Rugby Jersey (pictured above) and play on Warrior Field at the Anderson Rugby Complex.
Ulses, Crist
Holder, 2-2
Holder, 2-2
In a clash of the remaining undefeated in CPD’s Rugby East division, the Army ruggers held off a talented Penn State side to clinch a division championship. The match was held on the Penn State campus in steady rain.

Things began well for Army. Holder’s opening kickoff resulted in a quick penalty on the PSU 10m line. Holder, feeling lucky, attempted and made the penalty kick, helping army to an early 3-0 lead. Penn State replied quickly however, with an impressive pick and jam attack off a lineout. After several phases, they rolled over the line for the match’s first try, missing the conversion. For the next 30 minutes of play, both teams threatened and traded field position without scoring. However, Army’s offense came alive at the end of the half, sparked by another Holder penalty kick. With just enough time for another scoring opportunity, Army was awarded another penalty in PSU territory. Scrum-half Trevor Mitchell quick tapped and moved the ball to Holder, who skipped the ball out wide into the waiting hands of Karl Crist, who eluded two tacklers, scoring Army’s first try as time expired in the first half. Holder converted and Army took a 13-5 lead into half time.

Penn State came roaring out of the gate after half time, though and scored another try off a series of pick and jam phases. This time, an impressive conversion from the corner sailed through the uprights, bringing the Nittany Lions within 1 point. Shortly thereafter, an Army penalty deep in their own territory gave State a quick tap opportunity which they once again picked and jammed in for a third try. The conversion gave Penn State a 19-13 lead with little time left for a comeback. However, on the ensuing possession, Holder intercepted a bobbled pass from the home team, quickly moving it out wide to Kyle Ulses who scored Army’s final try untouched. Will’s conversion put Army ahead, but there was still work to be done. For the final 10 minutes of the game, both teams traded possession, each with scoring opportunities thwarted by penalties and handling errors. PSU seemed to be driving toward victory, with more effective pick and jam work. However, Army’s pack stopped the attack on the goal line, and Graham Warner popped open a ruck, turning over the ball and allowing Holder to kick to touch as time expired.
Ulses, 3; Vessel, 1
Holder, 2-4
Army battled Kutztown in its third Rugby East matchup, rising 3-0 in the conference.  Army 10, Will Holder, put the first points on the board for Army with a drop kick just outside the 22 meter line.  Kutztown answered with a try 16 minutes into the match, taking advantage of an Army penalty.  Army had penalty advantage at the 21 minute mark, and Holder elected to kick for points, making the score 6-5, Army.  Kutztown went on to score two trys before the half, once on the fourth phase from lineout and the second from a maul off the lineout – Army 6 Kutztown 15 at half.

Army came out striking 2 minutes into the second half with a shift of the ball from the set piece to Kyle Ulses for the try.  Just 6 minutes later, Ulses was back to score another try for Army, second series from the scrum.  Kutztown replied with a try at 55 minutes, first series off the line out.  Then, at the 59 minute mark, Chad Vessell scored the try after being shifted the ball from scrum on first phase, followed by Ulses’s third try on the day, a kick chase into try to make the score Army 30 Kutztown 20.  Kutztown threatened in the last ten minutes closing the score to 30-25 after a try, but Army held steady defensively, finishing the game 30-25 victorious.
Holder, Warner, Ulses, Hardee, Beck
Holder, 4-5
A sunny afternoon at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium was the setting for another classic matchup between the Army ruggers and their arch rivals, the Midshipmen of Navy. A raucous crowd, divided evenly between the two teams witnessed the latest installment in the storied tradition of Army-Navy Rugby.

Army’s Will Holder wasted little time orchestrating the first try of the match. After a fast break on the sideline, Wing Chris Beck’s grubber hugged the sideline and touched a Navy defender before skipping out of bounds deep in Navy territory. On third phase off that lineout, Holder dummied a Navy defender, diving over the goal line for the try and setting himself up for an easy conversion. Navy answered however, several minutes later, after a line break and several phases of pick and jam on the goal line. The Army lineout proved to be a dominant attacking set-piece as Hooker Graham Warner hammered his way across the try-line after some goal line work of his own. Navy would answer shortly before the half, again making use of a line break to set up a barrage of bodies on the Army goal line, eventually cracking the defense and scoring their second try. At the 40th minute, Army led by a conversion, 14-12.

After exchanging possession several times in the opening minutes of the second half, Army again struck first off a line-out. The first phase ended with a tackle short of the goal line near the middle of the field, setting up Army’s back line to work the ball out wide to Kyle Ulses who added his own try. This, coupled with a third Holder conversion made the score 21-12. Shortly thereafter, Army dealt what appeared to be a finishing blow to the Midshipmen scoring on third phase off an attacking scrum. Navy was not finished, however, capitalizing on a series of penalties to set up a relentless attack. They scored off a quick tap penalty deep in Army territory, as well as off a stolen scrum and finally punched a third try through after several phases picking and jamming on the goal line. With only 8 minutes to play, Navy took the lead 31-26 and seemed to have the game in hand.

Army answered the ensuing kickoff with relentless pressure in the Navy half, trying to set up a game winning try with time dwindling down. Several attacking opportunities held promise, only to be cut short by a penalty or miscue. With under a minute and a half remaining in the game, the Army team finally caught a break in the form of a Navy penalty, giving them an attacking lineout inside the Navy 22m. Lock Aaron Retter looked like he might score on second phase off the lineout, but was stopped short by Navy defenders. He did manage to provide quick ball for the entrepreneurial back line, led by Holder who, with the sun in his eyes, threw a miraculous pass out wide into the hands of wing Chris Beck, who finished in the corner to tie up the score. With time having run out on the clock the last play of the game would be a sideline conversion from Will Holder, which just snuck over the crossbar, for a storied finish for Army to a hard fought match on both sides.

Article Date 
Match Date 
Try Scorers 
Penalty Kicks 
Next Match