Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Men's Rugby : News: Tough loss at Navy


Tough loss at Navy

Article Date



B side taking the pitch at Navy

Match Date




Try Scorers

Foley, Bush, Ferebee


Rowe (2)

Penalty Kicks



5 April 2014, Annapolis, MD --

 It was a long, hard-fought battle in Annapolis this past Saturday as the Brothers took on Navy at their home field.
The Cadets started the game off well and on good pace, leading to a penalty conversion from Firstie fly half Blake Hunnewell in windy conditions.

The strong start did not last, however, as the Navy side took advantage of some opportunities presented by the Brothers. The Midshipmen put up 24 unanswered points, including a lucky bounce off of Army Fullback TJ Rowe’s foot that went right into the hands of the Navy winger who went untouched for a try.

The Brothers ended a less-than-ideal first half on a positive note, as Cow Lock Ben Foley scored a try and Rowe converted to make the score after 40 minutes of play 24-10 in favor of Navy.

After some calming words by Coach Mike Mahan at halftime, the Brothers put together an impressive comeback attempt, pulling to within 33-22 after a magnificent diving try from Firstie Scrum Half and Co-Captain Aaron Bush and another from Captain Jeff Ferebee.

The comeback ultimately came up short as the Navy hooker picked off a pass and touched it down between the posts. A final try from the Navy Fly Half ended the game with the final score of 43-22 in favor of Navy.

The win for Navy marks the end of a three game winning streak that the West Point side has enjoyed in the series, each of the previous three games being decided by 5 points or less.
Everyone involved with the West Point Men’s Rugby team would like to thank all of the supporters who came to watch the game, and would like to remind them of our next game on May 3rd against the Merchant Marine Academy at Anderson Rugby Complex.

Next Match



Created at 4/9/2014 5:41 PM by Jerrod Adams
Last modified at 4/9/2014 5:41 PM by Jerrod Adams