Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Men's Rugby : News: Army vs. Davenport


Army vs. Davenport

Article Date



Match Date




Try Scorers




Penalty Kicks



Grand Rapids, MI-
It was a hard fought match for the Brothers on April 19th as they traveled to Grand Rapids, Michigan to take on the Davenport Panthers. The Panthers capitalized on a few key mistakes by the Army side, while the Brothers were not able to return the favor.
Davenport jumped off to an early 8-0 lead after scoring a try and converting a penalty kick, but the Brothers wouldn’t back down without a fight.
A devastating maul drove the ball 15 meters down the field and was finally touched down by Cow Flanker Collum Magee. Fullback TJ Rowe made the conversion to make the score 8-7 Davenport.
After another try by Davenport, Magee outran everyone to the corner of the try zone for his second try of the match, making the score 15-12 in favor of the Panthers at halftime.
Seasoned head coach Mike Mahan made a few key half time adjustments, and after another converted penalty by Davenport, Captain Jeff Ferebee scored his first try of the match to make the score 19-18 and give the Brothers their first lead of the day.
A lull in the scoring was broken when Davenport converted yet another penalty kick to lead 21-19 with ten minutes left in the game.
The Army side continued to fight, however, and with four minutes left Jeff Ferebee scored again to put the Brothers up 24-21.
The lead was fleeting, however, as Davenport capitalized on a key mistake to get the ball back and score with less than a minute to play in the game, giving them the lead and the win with a final score of 28-24.
The loss marked the end of a successful season for West Point’s A side, with a record of four wins and two losses. West Point Rugby would like to thank everyone who was involved in the season and made it such a success.

Next Match



Created at 4/30/2014 1:21 PM by Jerrod Adams
Last modified at 4/30/2014 2:20 PM by Jerrod Adams