USMA’s Advanced Individual Academic Development (AIAD) program is a key portion of the institution’s “Margin of Excellence Concept.” Cadets spend two to four weeks, during the summer academic break (late May to early August), conducting academically enriching studies, service, research and cultural immersions.
Example C&LS AIAD Opportunities:
· Army Medical Center Summer Medical Internship (Germany)
· Flexible Carbon Nanotubes (ARL, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD)
· Physician Shadowing at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (Bethesda, MD)
· Waste-to-Energy Research (Cobleskill, NY)
· University Summer Research Program (Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN)
· Soldier Wearable Integrated Power System (ARL, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD)
· Molecular Bio-techniques for Tracking Seasonal Affective Disorder (NY)
· Bioengineering Biofuels for the Military (St. Louis, MO)
· Improved Armaments; Chemistry (Picatinny Arsenal, NJ)
· Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) Intensive Study Seminar (West Point, NY)
· Research at a National Lab (Sandia, Lawrence Livermore, or Los Alamos)
· And many more! Dozens of AIADs will be sponsored by the C&LS Department in 2016.