MAJ Sean Patrick O’Neil enlisted as an Infantryman in 2001 and served with 2/75 Ranger Regiment and 3-21 Infantry before commissioning as an Armor Officer in 2007 through Officer Candidates School. His first post-commissioning assignment was with 6-9 Cavalry, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division at Fort Hood, TX. While there, MAJ O’Neil served as a Platoon Leader, Troop Executive Officer, and Assistant Squadron Operations Officer. After attending the Maneuver Captains Career Course in 2011, MAJ O’Neil was assigned to the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, NC. During this assignment, he served as the Brigade’s Air Operations Officer and commanded B Troop, 5-73 Cavalry. MAJ O’Neil is currently assigned as an instructor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the United States Military Academy, West Point, NY. His military education includes Airborne School, Ranger School, Scout Leaders Course, Cavalry Leaders Course, Infantry Motor Leaders Course, and the Jumpmaster Course. MAJ O’Neil has deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, three times in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and once in support of Operation Inherent Resolve. His academic interests include robust, multivariable control and nonlinear control.
- 2017-Present: Instructor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- 2013-2015: Troop Commander, B/5-73 Cavalry, 3BCT, 82nd Airborne Division
- 2012-2013: Air Operations Officer, 3BCT, 82nd Airborne Division
- 2009-2011: Assistant Operations Officer, 6-9 Cavalry, 3BCT, 1st Cavalry Division
- 2008-2009: Troop Executive Officer, B/6-9 Cavalry, 3BCT, 1st Cavalry Division
- 2007-2008: Platoon Leader, B/6-9 Cavalry, 3BCT, 1st Cavalry Division