Goal: The USMA Library partners with faculty and staff to equip cadets with the information fluency skills to conduct meaningful scholarship while becoming life-long learners, critical thinkers, and effective leaders.
- Develop a capability to bring digital literacy training to our cadets and faculty.
- We will develop new tools to teach digital literacy awareness and promote those tools broadly to the USMA community, including cadets and faculty.
Goal: The USMA Library acquires, makes available, and maintains outstanding academic information resources designed to support the curriculum.
- Implement and migrate to a new Integrated Library System.
- Pending acquisition of the system in Fall 2018, we will bring the new system online and transition all library functions to the new system.
Goal: The USMA Library offers a collaborative, engaging place for scholarship, study, and the pursuit of academic excellence.
- Complete acoustical ceiling treatments on 6th floor and first floor hallways.
- We will seek funding to complete acoustical ceiling treatments on the first floor and sixth floor to improve facility usability and noise management.
- Develop a plan for continuing service and collection availability during the Academy’s Academic Building Upgrade Plan (ABUP).
- We will plan for both temporary and permanent relocation of collections housed in Bartlett Hall North along with changes in tenants and services in Jefferson Hall as the Academy plans for long-term space reallocation across academic facilities.
Goal: The USMA Library curates and shares the story and history of West Point and the Academy with the world.
- Develop a system to intellectually control digital photo and video materials.
- We will develop a written policy for capturing, naming and storing the Library's digital photo and digital content that is in compliance with NARA's new standards.
Goal: The USMA Library delivers timely and effective digital and place-based service to support study, scholarship, and intellectual development.
- Reinvigorate both the Class of 1953 reading area and the new book display area to encourage cadet and faculty engagement with reading.
- We will review the Class of '53 collection, remove dated materials and purchase additional appropriate items as well as develop an ongoing collection development plan to ensure currency and continuity.
- Pilot a synchronous online instruction curriculum for library skills.
- We will develop and deliver targeted online training for cadets and faculty, during the Evening Study Period that they participate in virtually from any location.
Goal: The USMA Library builds and maintains a robust, diverse suite of digital tools and infrastructure to support innovative academic information service.
- Review and update all external facing communication.
- We will review our website, library signage, LibGuides, self-guided tours, presentations for new faculty, and other materials for content and currency as well as set a schedule by which these materials are reviewed in the future.
Goal: The USMA Library studies and shares the effectiveness, impact, and value of information services to support the mission of USMA
- Prepare a self-study in preparation for an external review of all Library operations.
- We will work to develop a self-study document on library services, collections, and facilities in preparation for an external review planned for 2019.
Goal: The USMA Library develops and manages human and financial resources to support delivery of outstanding information service.
- Develop a framework for ongoing staff functional analysis.
- Develop long-range plans and prioritization for position enhancements.
We will develop initial plans and priorities for the ongoing development and implementation of our organizational design, to include position realignments, upgrades, and refinements.
The proponent for this Dean’s Policy Operating Memorandum is the Librarian and Associate Dean, USMA, USMA Library, Office of the Dean, MADN-LIB, x3833.
LPOM 1-2: Annual Objectives 2018-19