Although Congress provided in 1818 for the appointment of a civilian Protestant clergyman at West Point, there was no regular chapel building until construction of this neo-classical edifice in 1836. Hence, making the Old Cadet Chapel the first house of worship at the Academy. Originally located in the vicinity of the cadet barracks, because of the sentiment attached to this building after construction of the "new" cadet chapel, it was removed stone by stone to its present location in 1910.
The interior is the repository for many unusual plaques and other memorabilia including a plaque to the infamous Major General Benedict Arnold.
Because of its location at the entrance of the cemetery, many Funerals and Memorial services are held here. It has also been the home for Lutheran services for many years. (10:30 a.m. Sundays 8:00 a.m. in summer) It is open for meditation and prayer daily from 8:15 a.m. till 4:15 p.m.