The Military Program at USMA has seven goals, provided below. These goals describe the competence, commitment, and character of the world-class Lieutenant and graduate of West Point.
- Demonstrate proficiency and confidence in foundational military competencies;
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to prepare Soldiers and build teams;
- Apply concepts and principles of doctrine and warfighting to problem solving;
- Demonstrate how to critically think about and understand war and warfare in width, depth, and context;
- Demonstrate effective leadership competencies in accomplishing assigned missions;
- Demonstrate superior performance in troop leading procedures, marksmanship, and land navigation;
- Demonstrate courage, character, integrity, toughness, and commitment to the army professional ethic.
The Military Training (MT) Division of the Department of Military Instruction (DMI) plans and coordinates resources to support military training during the Academic Year and the Summer Term. It integrates internal West Point capabilities and external Army Command, Army Service Component Command, and Direct Reporting Unit elements. It synchronizes military instruction with physical instruction and character development during Cadet Summer Training, and it assesses military training progress and progression. Within capability, it provides instructors for Military Science Courses and operations officers for Cadet Summer Training Regiments and Battalions. In coordination with the Military Science Division, MT trains and certifies summer term instructors and support personnel. It supports the technical and tactical instruction of the Fourth, Third, and Second Class Cadets during the fall and spring.