Alumni & Visitors
Welcome to the U.S. Military Academy Library at West Point. If you are not currently studying at or employed at West Point but are interested in services and materials available through our library, you will find information and links below.
The USMA Library has a primary mission to support the cadets, faculty, and staff of the U.S. Military Academy in their academic work. As such our services for visitors and alumni are different than what you will find at your local public or university library.
Access to the Collections and Facilities
The Jefferson Hall Library and Learning Center is located with the Central Post Restricted Area. As such, Jefferson Hall is not a public facility and is not open for browsing or touring by the general public. The following individuals are authorized unescorted access to the common areas of Jefferson Hall during any and all hours of public operation:
- Military personnel in uniform (all approved uniforms with the exception of physical fitness uniforms). Equivalent uniforms worn by other Service and international military personnel assigned to or visiting West Point in an official status are also permitted. Cadet casual is considered civilian clothing, not an approved uniform.
- Military personnel, USMA DoD civilian employees, ODIA employees, Association of Graduate employees, USMA DoD contractors, or authorized delivery personnel in civilian clothing provided that they display their CAC/DoD/West Point/ODIA/AOG/Contractor identification card on their outer garment at all times in Jefferson Hall.
- Registered and credentialed attendees of Superintendent-approved, Dean-approved, or Librarian-approved events held in Jefferson Hall provided that they display their name/identification badget provided to them at all times in Jefferson Hall. This badge is valid only for Jefferson Hall (or a subsection thereof) and does not permit unescorted access through the Central Post Restricted Area. Individuals in this category must enter and exit Jefferson Hall using the East-facing door on Cullum Road.
The following individuals are authorized unescorted access to common areas of Jefferson Hall prior to 1900 on any day of operation only:
- Spouses and family members (14 years of age or older) of military personnel, USMA DoD civilian employees, ODIA employees, Association of Graduates employees, or USMA DoD contractors provided that they display their CAC/DoD/West Point/ODIA/AOG/Contractor identification card on their outer garment at all times in Jefferson Hall. Spouses or family members without DoD or West Point issued identification are not eligible for unescorted access.
- Retirees bearing a blue DoD identification card provided that they display their DoD identification card on their outer garment at all times in Jefferson Hall. Spouses or family members of retirees without their own DoD or West Point issued identification are not eligible for unescorted access.
- Graduates, spouses, and family members (14 years of age or older) who are registered as official participants for an official Academy event provided that they display their official name/identification badge provided to them at all times in Jefferson Hall.
- Researchers who are members of the general public requesting to use the collection under 44 USC 19 – 1909 governing open access to government collections, through consortial or cross-library research agreements, or researchers with scheduled appointments to consult materials held in Special Collections and/or Archives or materials on exhibit within Jefferson Hall provided that they 1) register as a visitor at the first floor welcome desk; 2) provide valid photo identification; 3) display their issued visitor credential on their outer garment at all times in Jefferson Hall; 4) have any bags or parcels searched prior to movement to upper floors of Jefferson Hall; and 5) agree to obey all rules, policies and regulations for use of Jefferson Hall. Individuals in this category must enter and exit Jefferson Hall using the East-facing door on Cullum Road. Requests for access by unaffiliated visitors should be made online at least two weeks in advance of your visit.
Please note that if you are seeking access to materials held in our general circulating collection, you should first request the materials via interlibrary loan from your local public or post library.
Access to databases and many licensed electronic
resources are only available to active cadets, faculty, and staff
assigned to USMA. The USMA Library does not license digital materials for graduates or for Army personnel assigned to other posts. USMA Library also does not license resources for inbound faculty during the time of their graduate study, nor for former faculty (military or civilian) or former employees.
Visitors to the USMA Library should report to the Welcome Desk on the first floor of Jefferson Hall upon arrival to register. All visitors over the age of 14 should carry and display appropriate identification as described above at all times. Bags and parcels may also be subject to search at any time during your visit.
For full access policies, please see Dean’s Policy Operating Memorandum 08-1.
If you are curious about our facility, we do offer an online tour.
Reference and Research Assistance
Reference and research assistance for visitors and alumni is available as staffing allows on topics relating to the West Point Military Reservation, the U.S. Military Academy and its graduates. Requests concerning other topics are best directed to your local public or post library.
Initial inquiries regarding reference and research assistance should be made online.
Directions and Parking
USMA Library is located in the Jefferson Hall Library and Learning Center in the Central Area of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Our street address for navigation is 758 Cullum Road. Directions are available. Parking within a short distance of the library is generally not available. More information on parking is available.
Acceptable Conduct and Behavior
Visitors to the USMA Library are expected to conduct themselves just as cadets, faculty, and staff. Full information on acceptable conduct and behavior is available.
The USMA Library does provide limited wireless networking capability in certain locations within Jefferson Hall. Visitors requesting access to this network will be asked to sign an acceptable use agreement and comply with network-use policies. Please see the reference desk for more information.
Services not Available to Alumni & Visitors
The following library services are not available to visitors and alumni:
- Borrowing of materials
- Reserve materials
- Interlibrary loan
- Recall of materials
- Printing, scanning, or copying**
- Access to government computer networks
- Access to or reservations for group study rooms, classrooms, or special event spaces
- Workstations and computer hardware
- Licensed data, databases and information
- Remote access to licensed services
** Exceptions may be made for government documents, or special collections & archives materials based upon copyright, condition of the item, and equipment availability.
Gifts and Donations
Many visitors and alumni support the mission of the USMA Library through gifts-in-kind and other donations. Complete information on the gifts and donations processes is available.