Alumni & Visitors
Welcome to the U.S. Military Academy Library at West Point. If you are not currently studying at or employed at West Point but are interested in services and materials available through our library, you will find information and links below.
The USMA Library has a primary mission to support the cadets, faculty, and staff of the U.S. Military Academic in their academic work. As such our services for visitors and alumni are different than what you will find at your local public or university library.
Access to the Collections and Facilities
The Jefferson Hall Library and Learning Center is located with the Central Post Restricted Area. As such, only personnel authorized for unescorted access to Central Area are permitted unescorted access within Jefferson Hall. Based upon West Point Policy Memorandum Number 001-14, the following individuals are authorized unescorted access within the Library:
- Military personnel in uniform (all approved uniforms with the exception of physical fitness uniforms). Equivalent uniforms worn by other Service and international military personnel assigned to or visiting West Point in an official status are also permitted.
- Military personnel, their spouses, and family members (14 years of age or older) in civilian clothing provided that they display their CAC/DoD identification card on their outer garment at all times in Jefferson Hall. Spouses or family members in this category without DoD or West Point issued identification are not eligible for unescorted access.
- West Point and USMA DoD civilian employees, ODIA employees, Association of Graduates employees, contractors, their spouses, and family members (14 years of age or older) provided that they display their DoD/West Point/ODIA/Contractor identification card on their outer garment at all times in Jefferson Hall. Individuals or family members in this category without DoD or West Point issued identification are not eligible for unescorted access.
- Registered and credentialed attendees of Superintendent-approved, Dean-approved, or Librarian-approved events/appointments held in Jefferson Hall. This includes members of the general public who request to use the collection under 44 USC 19 – 1909 governing open access to government collections, and researchers with scheduled appointments to consult materials held in Special Collections and/or Archives. Individuals in this category must display the name/identification badge provided to them at all times while in Jefferson Hall. This badge is valid only for Jefferson Hall and does not permit unescorted access through the Central Post Restricted Area.
Users in categories 1, 2, and 3 are also authorized access through the Central Post Restricted Area. Users in category 4 are not authorized access through the Central Post Restricted Area and must accompanied by appropriately credentialed personnel while outside of Jefferson Hall. This includes arriving to or departing from the Library. Requests for access by unaffiliated visitors should be made online at least two weeks in advance of your visit.
Please note that if you are seeking access to materials held in our general circulating collection, you should first request the materials via interlibrary loan from your local public or post library.
Access to databases and many licensed electronic
resources are only available to active cadets, faculty, and staff
assigned to USMA. The USMA Library does not license digital materials for alumni or for Army personnel assigned to other posts. USMA Library also does not license resources for inbound faculty during the time of their graduate study, nor for former faculty (military or civilian) or employees.
Visitors to the USMA Library should report to the Circulation Desk on the second floor of Jefferson Hall upon arrival to register. All visitors over the age of 14 should carry and display appropriate identification as described above at all times. Bags and parcels may also be subject to search at any time during your visit.
For full access policies, please see Dean’s Policy Operating Memorandum 08-1.
If you are curious about our facility, we do offer an online tour.
Reference and Research Assistance
Reference and research assistance for visitors and alumni is available as staffing allows on topics relating to the West Point Military Reservation, the U.S. Military Academy and its graduates. Requests concerning other topics are best directed to your local public or post library.
Initial inquiries regarding reference and research assistance should be made online.
Directions and Parking
USMA Library is located in the Jefferson Hall Library and Learning Center in the Central Area of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Our street address for navigation is 758 Cullum Road. Directions are available. Parking within a short distance of the library is generally not available. More information on parking is available.
Acceptable Conduct and Behavior
Visitors to the USMA Library are expected to conduct themselves just as cadets, faculty, and staff. Full information on acceptable conduct and behavior is available.
The USMA Library does provide limited wireless networking capability in certain locations within Jefferson Hall. Visitors requesting access to this network will be asked to sign an acceptable use agreement and comply with network-use policies. Please see the reference desk for more information.
Services not Available to Alumni & Visitors
The following library services are not available to visitors and alumni:
- Borrowing of materials
- Reserve materials
- Interlibrary loan
- Recall of materials
- Printing, scanning, or copying**
- Access to government computer networks
- Access to or reservations for group study rooms, classrooms, or special event spaces
- Workstations and computer hardware
- Licensed data, databases and information
- Remote access to licensed services
** Exceptions may be made for government documents, or special collections & archives materials based upon copyright, condition of the item, and equipment availability.
Gifts and Donations
Many visitors and alumni support the mission of the USMA Library through gifts-in-kind and other donations. Complete information on the gifts and donations processes is available.